Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axle sleeve install recommendations

Old 10-03-2010, 08:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle sleeve install recommendations

Recently a buddy and I welded c-gussets on my from axle knuckles, and considering the success of that project (and the fact that I have the sleeves already) I am beginning to think about welding the sleeves.

Any suggestions, pointers, or pitfalls from those of you who have gone the DIY route on welding sleeves?

Specifically, I am interested in suggestions on how to keep junk (welder flack, dust, etc) from entering into the differential while working on the axle tubes with the seals removed
Old 10-03-2010, 09:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Push a tight fitting shop rag into the axle tube with a wire or string tied to it. Then when you are finished drilling, shoot a good amount of brake cleaner into the tube from both the tube end and the hole drilled closest to the center section. then slowly pull the rag out.

other option would be to insert the sleeve. drill through the axle tube but not the sleeve. Be careful to not drill through the sleeve. you may drill into the sleeve just a bit.....this will privide a little dimple for the weld to grab onto. Use compressed air to blow out the drilled holes and clean before welding.

insert rag in sleeve before welding end. use 1st option above for cleaning. this will help clean splatter and etc....

Good luck
Old 10-03-2010, 09:37 PM
JK Junkie

On the drilling, if I understand correctly, is only for the EVO sleeves, correct? I went with the TeraFlex sleeves and they lack the grease nipple, and from what I can tell that should just slid right in and we start welding.

But, I do like the shop rag and brake cleaner suggestion. Thanks!

Keep them coming, the more the better

Last edited by u-joint; 10-03-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is incorrect. You need to drill 1/2" or so holes in multiple places on the axle housing to weld the sleeve to the axle housing. You drill the holes then fill them up with weld this welds the sleeve to the housing down the entire length.

If you just weld the very end of the sleeve/axle you are not doing any good. The point is to tie both pieces of metal together making a stronger housing.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn
On the drilling, if I understand correctly, is only for the EVO sleeves, correct? I went with the TeraFlex sleeves and they lack the grease nipple, and from what I can tell that should just slid right in and we start welding.

But, I do like the shop rag and brake cleaner suggestion. Thanks!

Keep them coming, the more the better

Not sure about the TF sleeves but i would think that the install would be pretty much the same. Did they not come with manufactures install instructions.

EVO sleeves call for:

1. 6 holes evenly spaced on the bottom of the passenger side tube (5 inside the CA / 1outside the CA)

2. 3 holes on the top of passenger tube ( 1 outside CA )

3. 1 hole on back of passenger tube ( outside CA near axle C )

4. 1 hole ( 1" from Center section ) on top of drivers side tube

5. 3 holes on bottom of drivers side tube ( 1" from Center section / Center / 5" from axle C )

6. 2 holes under drivers side spring perch as close to top as possible

7. 2 holes on top of drivers side tube ( 1" from center section / 1/2" from C )

8. 2 holes evenly spaced on the front of drivers side tube

9. 1 hole on back of drivers side tube next to axle C

Thats alot of holes. maybe a bit overkill, but you might as well do them all while your there.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:08 PM
JK Junkie

Wow, thank you both

Originally Posted by Fly-Attack
Not sure about the TF sleeves but i would think that the install would be pretty much the same. Did they not come with manufactures install instructions.
No, no instructions. Just metal in some protective padding/wrapping in a box. I didn't think anything odd of it, I wonder if TeraFlex normally includes instructions for them
Old 10-04-2010, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled the axle out and stripped it down except for the pinion when I did mine. Oh, and don't forget to get a set of RCV's to put in when your reassembling.

Trending Topics

Old 10-04-2010, 08:20 PM
JK Jedi

IMO, I would contact Teraflex or the rep. here on the forum and get some insight. If not done right it could be a very bad thing and end up costing you a new front end and even more labor. Just my .02
Old 10-10-2010, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have been trying to find the installation instructions for the Evo sleeve and gusset kit (just bought a JK), but no luck online

Anyone know a link, or have a set that they could scan and E-mail? Please post link here, or PM me for my E-addy.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

This thread as well as several others have gone over the install. I think that there is a write-up (go to "write-ups" section) on the topic as well.

I detailed the location for the required drilled holes above in this thread. To get to that point you will need to support the jeep on jack stands. (need to support on the frame to allow the suspension to flex.) and break-down the wheel and hub, so that you can get the axles out. Drill, clean, and reassemble.

One thing not mentioned above, but was covered in several other threads, is the weld on the tube end. Just be careful not to F-up your grease fitting.

Quick Reply: Axle sleeve install recommendations