Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

which axle sleeve is better ?

Old 09-07-2013, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what purpose do the plug welds serve other than keeping the sleeve from sliding around? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you creating a weak point when you drill multiple holes along the length of housing? Serious question because I wasn't super great with physics ( many moons ago even )
Old 09-07-2013, 04:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it will keep the axle from twisting around the sleeve and possibly still breaking. It ties them together. Your axles come with fill weld to the differential. If welded properly it will not weaken anything, just make the axle tubes stronger.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz
it will keep the axle from twisting around the sleeve and possibly still breaking. It ties them together. Your axles come with fill weld to the differential. If welded properly it will not weaken anything, just make the axle tubes stronger.
How does the axle TUBE twist around the sleeve when they are joined (either by interference fit or welding) and there is no opposing force on the sleeve?
Old 09-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 or so holes on long side 3" apart rotate 90 degrees of each other anymore is over kill---

A weld is not a weak link a discontinuity is, ie porosity, suck back, not cleaning the area before hand introduces contaminates into weld which males for a weak link....

6 or so long side 3 on short side...chamfer the end at a 45 degree angle and weld around to axle tube end...

ALWAYS MAKE SURE TO CLEAN WELD AREA, AND NOT WITH BRAKE CKEANER BECAUSE OF FUMES...

Notro sleeves have a larger ID than the rest they pound in and are knurled, the rest are weld in...

I prefer self in bit of I were to do a nitro sleeve because I want 35 spoken rcv axles I'd grind it with a flap disc as to reduce a smidge of the OD so I can slide them in and weld up....

Welding around d the tube 90 degrees of each other doesn't allow it to loac the tube with stress and twist.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BRUT4CE
6 or so holes on long side 3" apart rotate 90 degrees of each other anymore is over kill---

A weld is not a weak link a discontinuity is, ie porosity, suck back, not cleaning the area before hand introduces contaminates into weld which males for a weak link....

6 or so long side 3 on short side...chamfer the end at a 45 degree angle and weld around to axle tube end...

ALWAYS MAKE SURE TO CLEAN WELD AREA, AND NOT WITH BRAKE CKEANER BECAUSE OF FUMES...

Notro sleeves have a larger ID than the rest they pound in and are knurled, the rest are weld in...

I prefer self in bit of I were to do a nitro sleeve because I want 35 spoken rcv axles I'd grind it with a flap disc as to reduce a smidge of the OD so I can slide them in and weld up....

Welding around d the tube 90 degrees of each other doesn't allow it to loac the tube with stress and twist.
Thats sortof the answer I was looking for. Couldnt really see putting all the holes along the same line, seemed like a weak point in the making. Just ordered the synergy kit, but I opted for the more expensive kit that comes with new seals. Nothing wrong with my seals so cany hurt to have a spare set I suppose.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fredrok
How does the axle TUBE twist around the sleeve when they are joined (either by interference fit or welding) and there is no opposing force on the sleeve?

it doenst lol thats why im saying weld it. it could twist and break still with a nitro not welded...
Old 09-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that's the last time I try a long response on my broken phone...screen is cracked and touch doesnt input quite right...lol

My response earlier has TYPOFEVER.....sorry for that guys glad people sort of understood....
Old 09-08-2013, 04:35 AM
JK Newbie

What is going to be the easiest way to clean the rust,debris,rats,etc out of the axle housing ? I was thinking maybe an emory wheel or whire wheel and drill then blow it out with an airgun from the diff side. An extension can probably be made from a piece of allthread.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Likely, most of your rust buildup is going to be in the first foot or so unless you do a lot of wet stuff.

Fabricate with a longer rod (I only have this pic from another project); cut a slit on the end of the rod and insert a strip of emery cloth . With a brakeclean soaked rag tightly wrapped around and long rod (that allthread you mentioned is what I used for this + zipties), I went around the axle tube wiping/pulling out the rust/debris (not stuffing it back in, thin set up). After, stuff a clean rag down the axle tube (again, brakeclean) to keep debris out of the seal and diff and then run your "flapper" down the tube with your air grinder or whatever you use to spin it at a pretty good rate. Just cleaning the surface for a good prep, not trying to remove metal, etc.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1332.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	495828

Reach in with a wire with a bent end and retrieve the rag you stuff earlier and that will pull the debris you created with it. Set up the axle with a heater while assuming you had the sleeves sit in a freezer overnight.

Name:	2013-03-03_09-33-16_933.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	495829

Pull them out of the freezer and without delay, pound in, should just take a few taps.

Name:	2013-03-03_09-33-30_721.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	495830

And do your gussets and ball joints while you're there.

Name:	2013-03-03_16-16-21_748.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	495827

Last edited by fredrok; 09-08-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Going to assume my axle plugs are useless now?

Quick Reply: which axle sleeve is better ?