Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

which axle sleeve is better ?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which axle sleeve is better ?

My '07 Sahara with a Dana30 is getting a makeover. I just ordered new knuckles,ball joints drag link, and tierod. The question I have is which style of sleeve is best, pressed in or welded in? The previous owner (unknown) has been airborn at some point and there are still little signs of it lurking about. This Jeep has about 40k miles on it as well and between the two evils I am concerned about axle sagging or maybe even slightly bent from misuse and/or age making it more difficult to drive a pressed sleeve into the housing without a great deal of effort. An axle swap is not an option at this point so I prefer to finish beefing up what I already have. Is a welded sleeve any easier to work with in cases like mine ?
Old 09-07-2013, 12:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ridg3runner
My '07 Sahara with a Dana30 is getting a makeover. I just ordered new knuckles,ball joints drag link, and tierod. The question I have is which style of sleeve is best, pressed in or welded in? The previous owner (unknown) has been airborn at some point and there are still little signs of it lurking about. This Jeep has about 40k miles on it as well and between the two evils I am concerned about axle sagging or maybe even slightly bent from misuse and/or age making it more difficult to drive a pressed sleeve into the housing without a great deal of effort. An axle swap is not an option at this point so I prefer to finish beefing up what I already have. Is a welded sleeve any easier to work with in cases like mine ?
The Dana 30 and Dana 44 axle housings are the same as far as strength most people don't believe that but they are the bulkhead is a different shape, yes but it is the same thickness the tubes are the same size and thickness they both hold the same strength the only thing that weakens the D30 over the D44 is the ring and pin but added strength is always a good idea for any serious offroader

[J][E][E][P]
Old 09-07-2013, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went with the Synergy weld in sleeves when i did mine and they were snug but slid in with just hand pressure on them

Last edited by slider_68; 09-07-2013 at 04:32 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't bother with a sleeve. Your best option is to run a truss. Atrec makes are real nice one, and is a good price as well.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-07-2013, 06:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by justin22
Don't bother with a sleeve. Your best option is to run a truss. Atrec makes are real nice one, and is a good price as well.

This x2. Also if you get the sleeves make sure there weld in.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

What is the advantage of a truss over sleeves then?
Old 09-07-2013, 07:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by justin22

I wouldn't go as far as to say don't bother with them. Artec does make a nice product and WHEN INSTALLED PROPERLY can be argued to have some advantages over sleeves. Can also cause more problems if not installed with patience.

Nitro sleeves don't require any welding and frankly I think it's pointless to do so on those. Freeze them (I also heated the housing) and pound them in. They are not going anywhere.

Sleeves are plenty adequate for 90% of the people out wheeling, IMO. Anyone seen any broken tubes with the press in sleeves?

Even more important if you're running larger tires is C gussets. Keep in mind the cases of even breaking tubes have been pretty limited. Even another argument could be made if you even need any reinforcement at all.

Last edited by fredrok; 09-07-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ridg3runner
What is the advantage of a truss over sleeves then?
A truss would make the entire housing more rigid and distribute the bending forces more evenly along the housing. But how hard are you going to wheel? Running 37s+, hard on the skinny and difficult rated trails, etc.?
Old 09-07-2013, 07:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X3 on the truss. From an engineering standpoint, they add significantly more strength over sleeves. Artec is a great option
Old 09-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truss is good for lateral force although it adds horizontal stiffness its primary is upward force like what we see in off road truck racing. 70+ in whoops slamming up and down....I've had a axle bend back before and up and down (it did bend up where the truss ended upwards).

A thicker wall will handle direct abuse better for front to back ie slamming I to something.....

ALOT of the reason the guys who actually rock crawl do both or go pro rock (thick tubes) then do a truss on top.....

So both is best, truss if your slamming down and jumping, crawling slow and not hardcore like most = sleeves..... hardcore jv style stuff I'd recomend both because when crawl I g we are directly driving g straightinto a object which is for/aft load and some are harder on the skinny pedal pplus dropping off a rock and landing on another thicker tube for damage....

Quick Reply: which axle sleeve is better ?