Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axle Shaft Play After Rebuild

Old 09-16-2023, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle Shaft Play After Rebuild

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place I’m new to this forum and any forum in general. I searched Google and this forum high and low for an exact scenario and only could find similar.

2013 JK 2 Dr Sport

Just swapped the rear axle out with one I bought used. (Unsure what year JK but I was told 17’) Before swapping I had a shop install a USA Standard Gear & Install Kit package for Non-Rubicon Jeep JK, 4.88 ratio.

This axle came with a Detroit Tru trac differential that I had the shop reuse. I then replaced the rear axle shaft wheel bearings, seals, and retainer plate. Used bearings, retainers and seals from napa. They were Napa part numbers but said Timkin on the box. Got the retainer at O’Reilly.

After installing all this, took it for a ride to break in the gears. After letting them cool for a couple hours went to move the Jeep and a slight noise came from what sounded like the left rear hub a rubbing sound but not a grind and specifically when turning.

Jacked it up and noticed the play that so many people talk about and some say it’s normal and some say it isn’t. Took the wheel, caliper and rotor off and have some but less then an 1/8” of play with the drive axles in and out on both sides. Zero up and down, checked retainer bolts and they were all tight with no diff oil leaking anywhere. I’ve read that this could be caused by the Tru Trac but that doesn’t make sense in my brain. I need to get a gauge to measure the exact amount of play.

Looking to be educated by the vast expanse of knowledge that is the internet.

Thanks

Disregard how dirty it is I flushed all this with gear oil before break in. That is a side conversation I’m having with the shop.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Video of play.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_8309.mov (15.33 MB, 36 views)
Old 09-16-2023, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 403 Likes on 378 Posts

Welcome to JKF. Yep, good knowledgeable friendly group here and will respond with good opins. I'm not the guy; I had a shop do the work when going 4.10s and Dura Grip by Yukon. Look down the post for related previous posts on this subject.

Quick Reply: Axle Shaft Play After Rebuild