Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axle Seals Leaking

Old 05-18-2012, 06:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Axle Seals Leaking

Hey everyone! Hopefully somebody can help me out. Over a year ago I had new gears installed, while they were doing that I had them install Evo 44 Magnums (sleeves).

Issue 1:
I was walking by the Jeep this morning and noticed a discoloration on my front Dana 30 axle. Taking a closer look it looks like I have a small leak coming from the driver side. I am guessing its a pretty slow leak as I don't see a puddle or anything, plus the visable area around the shaft is dry.

Should I not worry about it until it gets worse? Is it even leaking? Since I have the Evo Sleeves what seals do I even replace now?

Issue 2:
Since I saw that on the front, I decided to take a look at the rest of my axles. Looks like on the rear (non-rubicon Dana 44) driver side I have a leak as well. This one appears to be a little more apparent, as I have some leakage onto my tire.

Pulling the axle shafts doesn't scare me at all. I just don't know what seals I need to replace in either case. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Offroad evo sells the rubber o ring for their magnum sleeves they are $14. The rear would be a different a different type of seal you would have to get that from the part store or dealer.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:15 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

The seal in the axle sleeve isn't designed to contain the oil in the front axle. If it's leaking, the seals in the axle need to be changed; the ones in the diff housing where the diff has to come out.
Because of the work involved, and your picture of the front axle, I would just clean off the residue with some brake-clean, check the fluid level in the axle, and keep an eye on it. It may not come back.

The rear axle looks a little worse. First, check the fluid level. Clean off the residue and keep an eye on it, if you can't fix it right off. Also, make sure it's not brake fluid.

To replace the rear axle seals, you will need new seals, retainer rings, and I would install new bearings, since they will be off anyway.
The four nuts that hold the end retainer on should be replaced new, also.
The easiest way to get all that stuff off the axle shaft is with a press and bearing splitter.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The seal in the axle sleeve isn't designed to contain the oil in the front axle. If it's leaking, the seals in the axle need to be changed; the ones in the diff housing where the diff has to come out.
Because of the work involved, and your picture of the front axle, I would just clean off the residue with some brake-clean, check the fluid level in the axle, and keep an eye on it. It may not come back.

The rear axle looks a little worse. First, check the fluid level. Clean off the residue and keep an eye on it, if you can't fix it right off. Also, make sure it's not brake fluid.

To replace the rear axle seals, you will need new seals, retainer rings, and I would install new bearings, since they will be off anyway.
The easiest way to get all that stuff off the axle shaft is with a press and bearing splitter.
Thanks! Should I be able to source the retainer nuts at my local hardware store? Or a I going to have to go to the dealership?
Old 05-18-2012, 02:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by MallCrawl
Thanks! Should I be able to source the retainer nuts at my local hardware store? Or a I going to have to go to the dealership?
If it were my choice, I would get them from the dealer, or an online MOPAR parts dealer. I think they should be replaced because they are self locking, or have some fiber-lock in the threads. Some people reuse them and haven't had them come loose. The book says they must be replaced, so that's what I would do.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just replaced mine rear seal and bearing on wed. cost was $70 from a local parts house and pressed it on myself but they would of done it for $25.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx

For the front it says to install the seals with a Turnbuckle 6797 and a Discs 8110. Is there a generic version I can acquire somewhere?

Quick Reply: Axle Seals Leaking