Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axle seals for Dana 44 rear

Old 04-10-2023, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle seals for Dana 44 rear

I recently changed over to the front axle seals with a grease fitting to keep the seal packed and eliminate leaks.

Is there a similar product available for the rear? Can the tubes be drilled and tapped for a zerk fitting just inside the standard seal?
Old 04-10-2023, 05:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 169 Likes on 144 Posts

The seals you show keep debris out of the front axle tubes. There is no need for that with the rear axle as the seals are on the outboard ends of the tubes.
If you are looking to make the rear axle bearings grease-able, I don't see a need for that. The bearings and seals are lubricated with oil from the differential.
That seems to work well. I have 253,000 miles on my original axle seals and bearings. (Front and rear)
Old 04-11-2023, 03:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,871 Likes on 1,638 Posts

If you think those seals are doing diddly squat, think again. Also, if you DO have an inner seal leak, it's best to know so you can address it. Those things you have pictures are only going to mask the issue. IMO, it's always better to know you have a problem as soon as possible. Issues don't tend to remedy themselves when ignored.

...and as ronjenx highlights, no need for anything in the rear either. A leaking seal will need to be replaced from time to time.....that is just part of a solid axle vehicle.

Last edited by resharp001; 04-11-2023 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-11-2023, 06:37 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

are you running a JK with a rear steer set up?
Old 04-13-2023, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 423 Posts

And with those TF seals you cannot or it is difficult to use the factory white splined spacer washer on the axle to reinstall unless you put the axle in a bit with the plastic spacer and seal on the axle and then install the TF seal behind it after the axle is half in. That plastic washer lifts the spline of the axle off the bottom of the tube and keeps it clean while pushing in and keeps the crap out of the inner seal. The TF seals won't stop muddy water from going in but they will stop it from getting out due to the ridge on the seal body. I just run clean water in there from time to time to flush the tubes especially after going through mudholes.

Quick Reply: Axle seals for Dana 44 rear