Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axle seals

Old 09-11-2014, 02:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody said to use Teflon tape.
Here's the re-installed seal. Thoughts on using it or should I just wait for the new one ?

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 09-11-2014, 03:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
Yup, axle grease will work, and a glob of it in your axle wont hurt a damn thing.....
Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Somebody said to use Teflon tape.
I didn't use anything when seating the seal. I did put a big--really slathered it in there--glob of grease by the seal inside the axle tube, but outside of the diffy housing. This was because I had a problem with sand/grit getting into there and tearing up both the seals and the Chromoly axles shafts. I had to have the shafts turned and replace the seals. The fellow doing the machine work, a very experienced four wheeler, recommended remove the dust seals on the EVO sleeves to keep grit from getting trapped inside the axle tube, and pack next to the axle seal with marine bearing grease to keep grit away from the seal. I followed his advice.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:54 AM
JK Junkie

Default Axle seals

Yea those outer seals are snake oil. How in the hell do they seal with no machined area on the axle. Water/rust +trapped = no good.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Yea those outer seals are snake oil. How in the hell do they seal with no machined area on the axle. Water/rust +trapped = no good. 2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Exactly. I didn't want to be the first one to say it. They actually do the opposite of what you want them to. They let crap in, but nothing gets out.

I'm going to start a line of high end muffler bearings if anyone wants to get on the wait list
Old 09-11-2014, 10:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Exactly. I didn't want to be the first one to say it. They actually do the opposite of what you want them to. They let crap in, but nothing gets out.

I'm going to start a line of high end muffler bearings if anyone wants to get on the wait list
Count me in

Quick Reply: Axle seals