Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

axle options

Old 04-06-2011, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle options

Would the axles out of dodge power wagon work under the JK? Would the electronics hook right up or what type of modifications would have to happen?
Old 04-06-2011, 12:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would require ALOT of Fabrication and a decent amount of custom wiring. That being said it could work. I would love to see that complete.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:52 AM
JK Newbie

Default Power Wagon Axles

I wouldnt think that it would be any more fabricating than junk yard axles, not saying that isnt alot of work. Does anybody know how if the abs is relatively the same as the JK?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:42 AM
JK Super Freak

The ABS would work if the number of teeth on the tone rings were the same on the powerwagon's axle, and I don't think they are. I know all the other dodge truck axles have a different size tone ring.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by a_ridder
I wouldnt think that it would be any more fabricating than junk yard axles, not saying that isnt alot of work. Does anybody know how if the abs is relatively the same as the JK?
It would be the same as a junkyard swap to mount the axle. However the e-lockers on a dodge power wagon axles use a 12v signal to engage the locker, the Jeep uses a different voltage. Simple enough to wire a switch to a relay though.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Wiring through a relay won't change the voltage, it is just a fancy switch. To change voltage a resister. My rubi lockers work with 12 volt.
I was reffering to the factory relay control voltage. Poor terminology on my part.
Not 100% sure on their operation, however, the OE relays are not simply wired to the switch in the dash. It would be in his best interests to run a new switch and relays, gain full control of the lockers. If i'm not mistaken, the coil of the power-wagon lockers probably draws more current, so a heavier relay would be wise.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

Tuche Dirtman,
I would still wire a relay in my system, just to Isolate the locker from my dash. I'm a shipboard electrician though, so i live in a world of worse case scenarios, and alot higher voltages. Call me paranoid, but its how mine will be set up.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

Well, i could go one of two ways.
Do the math and figure out what it would take to get 5v with an inline resistor.
Or just use twelve volts. Thing is with the relay, the whole locker circuit is remote to the dash, instead of runing the circuit all the way to the switch and back to the locker.
Think about it this way, if you lose the coil and it shorts, the fuse should pop. "Should" Ive seen a 5 amp fuse blow at 15 amps though. Then I have a charlie fire in my dash, and i'm pissed. A relay will also add redundancy, if i'm 50-60 miles out and the switch fails, I can jerry rig the relay and make it work. If the relay fails, I can use the switch.
I like backups.

Quick Reply: axle options