Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axle or Lockers?

Old 11-10-2009, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Axle or Lockers?

Looking at a JK for sale, and this was an excerpt from the description....

"FRONT AND REAR 5.13 RING AND PINION D44 POWERLOC FRONT DIFFERENTIAL DETROIT TRUE TRAC REAR DIFFERENTIAL"

What exactly does this mean?
It's an X model so the front wasn't already a 44.

All I get from it that it's running 5.13 gears, and is it saying the axle was swapped out for a D44??

Thanks Guys, I'm clueless
Old 11-10-2009, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Looks like they put 5.13:1 gears on, powerlock locker in the front, upgraded the front to a Dana 44, and put in a Detroit True_trac gear driven limited slip in the rear. Should be a pretty good rig for all but the narliest of stuff.

john
Old 11-10-2009, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No, not all X models come with a front D44 axle...that's an awesome upgrade!
5.13's even better! And a front lunchbox locker already installed, with an upgraded Limited Slip in the Rear...nice little setup....not the best on the market, but a step up front stock for sure.
The Detroit Truetrac is the same unit I installed in my front D30, it's a high bias limted slip, but best part...maintenance free, no additives required in the lube because they operated with helical gears not clutch packs...much better than stock LSD in X's and Sahara's, but not a locker
Old 11-10-2009, 04:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a very capable rig. Look at it ALL though before you make your decision.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
No, not all X models come with a front D44 axle...that's an awesome upgrade!
5.13's even better! And a front lunchbox locker already installed, with an upgraded Limited Slip in the Rear...nice little setup....not the best on the market, but a step up front stock for sure.
The Detroit Truetrac is the same unit I installed in my front D30, it's a high bias limted slip, but best part...maintenance free, no additives required in the lube because they operated with helical gears not clutch packs...much better than stock LSD in X's and Sahara's, but not a locker
I'm pretty sure that no X models come from the factory with a d44 they all run 30's.

I was just a little confused about the wording the guy used. The gears made since to me, but the rest was kinda fuzzy.

I'm prob, just going to go with a stock Rubicon that I found, and build it myself, I had just stumbled over that and it caught my eye.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by thisisaustin9221
I'm pretty sure that no X models come from the factory with a d44 they all run 30's.

I was just a little confused about the wording the guy used. The gears made since to me, but the rest was kinda fuzzy.

I'm prob, just going to go with a stock Rubicon that I found, and build it myself, I had just stumbled over that and it caught my eye.
Some people ordered their X's with an upgraded option for front d44 from factory...so technically they came from the factory with front 44's
Old 11-10-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

didn't even think about that.
my apologies.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

you'll be happy with a rubicon
Old 11-11-2009, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll argue the other side. Why go pay more money for the Rubicon when you found an X with D44s, lockers, and gears already? Is the transfer case that valuable to you on the Rubi? Get someone from an offroad shop down there to come with you to take a look at the Jeep if you want a second opinion. I'm just sayin, that X has about $3500 - $4000 in axle, diff, and gear work done, which you would probably end up doing to the Rubi anyways if you got tires bigger than 33's...
Old 11-11-2009, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CitadelJeep04
I'll argue the other side. Why go pay more money for the Rubicon when you found an X with D44s, lockers, and gears already? Is the transfer case that valuable to you on the Rubi? Get someone from an offroad shop down there to come with you to take a look at the Jeep if you want a second opinion. I'm just sayin, that X has about $3500 - $4000 in axle, diff, and gear work done, which you would probably end up doing to the Rubi anyways if you got tires bigger than 33's...
X2, that is why I bought an X, because I knew that I would upgrade it and I paid about $9300 less than the rubi I was looking at (new not used)

Quick Reply: Axle or Lockers?