Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axle Gussets, Anyone have to Straighten the Axle before Install?

Old 09-14-2009, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle Gussets, Anyone have to Straighten the Axle before Install?

Hey All,

Happy UPS Man dropped off my C2 Gussets from EVO today. I'll weld them in this weekend but I have a question maybe someone has run across.

I swear my drivers side upper "C" is tweaked inwards (twoards the spring) a degree or two.

I don't have a rack ay my house so it is going to be hard to verify (gonna try a level against the hub center after the wheels are off).

If it is "tweaked" on the drivers side upper what can I do to bring it back a degree or two?

I don't really want to heat it then put a porta-power on it but, what else is there to do?

Just how much adjustment does the JK have for Camber anyways? The last alignment showed within spec so maybe its an optical illusion but I don't know.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not heard of a way to fix Cs once they are bent, but there may be someone out there smarter than me.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:26 PM
JK Super Freak

other than offset ball joints there is no adjustment for camber. you get what you get. if the last alignment showed within spec and you havn't really hit anything then weld in the gussets. the upper ball joints should be in a bit further than the bottoms to get a good scrub radius when turnning the tires. if you draw an imaginary line through the center of each ball joint starting from the top and going down to the pavement, you want the end of that line to be in the center of the tread patern or foot print just as line hits the pavement. i'm not to good at explaining, hope you understand. i wish i could draw you a pic.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:54 PM
JK Super Freak

If it is bent the gusset should stabilize it, you then as already stated you would need an offset ball joint to get it back in spec. They sale various replacements with varying degrees of correction.

If your shop says all is okay then nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: Axle Gussets, Anyone have to Straighten the Axle before Install?