Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axle Alignment and tire wear

Old 07-05-2016, 01:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK08JK
Shot in the dark here but did you ratchet strap the axle and frame to line up the rear track bar with the new bracket? The same needs to be done of the front and then install the adj. trackbar. I could see someone not ratcheting it and just making the trackbar long enough to fit. The front was more difficult for me with all the measuring.
Hi where does one ratchet the frame and the axle to pull the frame more center over the axle? I have the terraflex rear bracket installed so I used that as a reference point for the front so that both axles are in line to each other. However by using the bracket as the reference point, this caused the axles to be off center from the vehicle.

Last edited by matt852; 07-05-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't pull the frame over the axle, I pulled the axle under the frame. I set the axle (pumpkin) on a floor jack with the wheels facing traverse. Disconnect the adjustable side of the track bar. Attach one side of the ratchet strap to the frame (whichever side it needs to move towards) which is on jack stands and the other side to the axle. To adjust the length of the track bar, I measured how far it was off at ride height, I believe you said an inch to driver. So you want to move the axle .5" to right (passenger). So you shorten the track bar by .5". To do that I measured how far the threaded side stuck out, then reduced that by just over .5" to allow for the angle. Ratchet the axle over until it lines up with the bolt holes. Re-attach and drop it down to ride height and check the results and adjust as necessary. That's just what worked for me though.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:27 PM
JK Freak

That is essentially what I did as well. I had to do the rear before the trackbar bolt hole would line up with the bracket's bolt hole.

The front was very similar but you have to keep measuring back and forth on each side until they are the same, then adjust the size of adjustable front trackbar to fit this correct length.

The front was a lot of "click the ratchet strap once, measure, not enough, click again, measure, not enough, click it again, measure, too much, dammit! Start over..."
Old 07-05-2016, 04:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I didn't pull the frame over the axle, I pulled the axle under the frame. I set the axle (pumpkin) on a floor jack with the wheels facing traverse. Disconnect the adjustable side of the track bar. Attach one side of the ratchet strap to the frame (whichever side it needs to move towards) which is on jack stands and the other side to the axle. To adjust the length of the track bar, I measured how far it was off at ride height, I believe you said an inch to driver. So you want to move the axle .5" to right (passenger). So you shorten the track bar by .5". To do that I measured how far the threaded side stuck out, then reduced that by just over .5" to allow for the angle. Ratchet the axle over until it lines up with the bolt holes. Re-attach and drop it down to ride height and check the results and adjust as necessary. That's just what worked for me though.
Thank you so much I will do that later when I get home. That was very detailed!

Quick Reply: Axle Alignment and tire wear