Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axel sleeves and gussets duarability

Old 01-28-2011, 02:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axel sleeves and gussets duarability

Has anyone sleeved and gusset'd their front Dana 44 and had problems. Not talking about ring & pinion, shafts or any internal components. I want to know if Anybody has sleeved their axel and since bent the housing or c's. What are you using? What size tires and have you had any issues? Any opinions on ineer verse outer sleeves?
Old 01-28-2011, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have gussets on mine and I'm running 40 inch toyo mts and will be installing sleeves sometime next week so ill let you know about those . The gussets are holding up fine and the axle does not look like it has been bent whatsover but then again I haven't been doing much wheeling all because I don't have sleeves and like to play it safe. Also I would go with inner sleeves since I've seen more people running them then the outer ones.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

Wow..40's? yeah i'd wait till it was sleeved. What gussets did you go with?
Old 01-28-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I think there was one in this thread. The sleeves just moved the shatter point to another part of the housing.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t-Axle-Housing!!

Posts 35 and 38 talk about it. The sleeves moved the break point from the ca mounts area to the diff.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-28-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:08 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeReo
Has anyone sleeved and gusset'd their front Dana 44 and had problems. Not talking about ring & pinion, shafts or any internal components. I want to know if Anybody has sleeved their axel and since bent the housing or c's. What are you using? What size tires and have you had any issues? Any opinions on ineer verse outer sleeves?
before destroying the inner workings of our dana 44, we had off road evolution gussets installed and NO sleeves and saw no additional bending of anything. we were running 37x13.50 toyo mt's at the time and had about 65,000 miles on the axle. it was only last year that i had personally seen multiple housing breaks and before then, i never thought they were needed - at least, with all the torture we put our axle through, our housing never broke. with over 300,000 JK's out there today, i still think housing breaks are far from common but, having a set of inner sleeves installed is good insurance to have.

why? you're more likely to break an axle shaft than the housing any day of the week. housing breaks are NOT common.

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-28-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:16 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I think there was one in this thread. The sleeves just moved the shatter point to another part of the housing.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t-Axle-Housing!!

Posts 35 and 38 talk about it. The sleeves moved the break point from the ca mounts area to the diff.
yeah, this was on blazer4949's jk and it happend on our rubicon run. fortunately, he did have inner sleeves and it helped keep his axle together even after seeing signs of breaking. he now has a dynatrac prorock 44 and, if you were to ask him, he would tell you that he wouldn't have wasted his money beefing up his 44 and would have gone right to the prorock had it been available sooner.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

ORE. Teraflex makes some as well. Both great products. Both do the job efficiently.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:24 PM
JK Freak

Just re-read the thread you guys are refferring to. This is the decision im trying to make i guess. These axels seem to go for pretty decent $$. I have one sitting in my garage ready to go but i have been kicking around the idea of selling it and putting the funds towards a better axel. I'll be running 37's.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:32 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Just re-read the thread you guys are refferring to. This is the decision im trying to make i guess. These axels seem to go for pretty decent $$. I have one sitting in my garage ready to go but i have been kicking around the idea of selling it and putting the funds towards a better axel. I'll be running 37's.
for the amount of money it would take to build up your factory 44, i personally think you would be much better served to just save up a bit and get a prorock 44.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

Anybody know what a pro-rock 44 with an arb is going for? Theres no pricing on the website

Quick Reply: Axel sleeves and gussets duarability