Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Axel seal ??

Old 06-05-2009, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkkat
You also might want to add these to your axle, they keep stuff from getting into your axle tube and use the heavy duty green marine greese.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...rod=SA-EV33FSL
Do these seals fit straight into the JK D44 axle as Northridge's site lists most models except the JK against that product?

Nick
Old 06-05-2009, 01:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nick p
Do these seals fit straight into the JK D44 axle as Northridge's site lists most models except the JK against that product?

Nick
Yeah. If you have a moment, call or email Dave. He knows exactly which one you need
Old 06-05-2009, 01:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by seer1
Edive, that is a nifty assed tool. I wish I'd seen that when I was doing mine three times.
I got the idea from Shayne McGuire on a Canadian 4X4 site. You know those people up north can improvise just about anything.

I have to disagree on the hour though. From drain to fill, I'd plan on about three. Take your time on this. You don't want to have to do it over. Use your search, there are a couple of write ups around here with pictures.
It took my buddy and I just about an hour. Two people can make very quick work taking the shafts off. If I did it myself I'd give over two hours, maybe close to 3. I would count on three doing it the first time by yourself.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy
I got the idea from Shayne McGuire on a Canadian 4X4 site. You know those people up north can improvise just about anything.

It took my buddy and I just about an hour. Two people can make very quick work taking the shafts off. If I did it myself I'd give over two hours, maybe close to 3. I would count on three doing it the first time by yourself.
When my buddies come over to help it adds about two hours on to the job. My third time took about an hour and 45 minutes, but by then I'd figured out where all the tools I needed were. Love those folk up north. Eh?
Old 06-05-2009, 09:02 PM
JK Super Freak

When my buddies come over to help it adds about two hours on to the job.
No boozing allowed when touching my Jeep! I'll fill you with all the beer your liver can handle when we're done or if we need a beer, Jeep is done. But no booze and my Jeep period
Old 06-06-2009, 12:41 PM
JK Junkie

No boozing allowed when touching my Jeep! I'll fill you with all the beer your liver can handle when we're done or if we need a beer, Jeep is done. But no booze and my Jeep period
Who said they were touching my Jeep? In my neighborhood "help" is limited to and Unless I'm lucky enough to get hold of Mike or Dan.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Who said they were touching my Jeep? In my neighborhood "help" is limited to and Unless I'm lucky enough to get hold of Mike or Dan.
My neighbor just told me last night anytime I needed help, he'd be willing to supervise.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

If your bearing caps aren't marked mark them with a stamp. (Yours should be marked for sure) This is important! Look for a stamped "A" or "V" on the cap. They line up so you can put the caps back exactly as you took them out.

I mark my bearing cap bolts with the marker (not required, but I do do this) DT (drivers top), DB (drivers bottom), PT, & PB.
I had a dealer replace my Dana 44 front axle seals under warranty (08 stock Rubicon), and watched everything he did. I read somewhere that it is important to put the bearing caps back where they were if they are honed in place. Is there any other way to put them (right/left, up/down) or is it pretty obvious that they need to go in one way?

Also, the service tech used a spreader. Not sure if this is necessary.

I wish he would have used something to catch the caliper as it basically dropped when he removed the bolts, I am sure that is great for the brake line and the ABS wire.

My guess is that the passenger seal blew (they replaced both) since the front diff was overfilled at the factory and while some blew out the breather, there was still more in there before I opened the fill plug and let the remainder drain out.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:32 AM
JK Junkie

eDiveBuddy - great write up, I'm a pretty visual person so write up's are difficult for me to understand but I really like how you did the step by step simplicity
Old 06-12-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ophidia
Is there any other way to put them (right/left, up/down) or is it pretty obvious that they need to go in one way?
Yes they will go in anyway you want, but it will not be good.

Also, the service tech used a spreader. Not sure if this is necessary.
Not necessary at all.

I wish he would have used something to catch the caliper as it basically dropped when he removed the bolts, I am sure that is great for the brake line and the ABS wire.
I'm sure a we've all done this one. But a service tech should have known better. I zip tie it to the springs.

Quick Reply: Axel seal ??