Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Avenger Supercharger?

Old 03-16-2007, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jpmagazine has been running an avenger supercharger on their project red TJ for over a 100k and havent had one problem with the motor. I believe one of the bearings in the blower is making some noise but thats it. I think after you install it abd get it tuned by someone who knows what they are doing and run premium fuel i think you will be just fine if you drive the jeep normally and dont beat on it at every chance you get.

Oh and by the way i have 37s on my jk 4dr. its not as much of a dog as you would think. i can do 70 down the free way no problem. there is more shifting between 5th and 6th but its doable trust me.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Avenger was supposed to have something out in February, or so their website said. I live in denver with a 03 JGC HO V8, so my test drive with a 4dr JK was a bit underwhelming. Plus being here in Denver and wanting to get into the mountians doesn't help.

I'm still hoping for a V8 JK, and I'm willing to wait 12-18 months to hear about it, but after that I'm going to have to take a real hard look at what I want to replace my 03 with . If no V8 is on the Horizon, maybe get a two year old JK then and mod it out with an Avenger and some Airock.

I can dream.

Mark
Old 03-16-2007, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default do you have to put body lift

i was told desert rat that you have have to have a one inch body lift for the supercharger............i tried calling avenger but no reply back..
the rockster
Old 03-17-2007, 04:32 AM
JK Freak

The new avenger will not require a body lift, only a hood scoop.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
I'm curious: how reliable is a non-factory supercharger, typically? I've been told many times from "car guy" friends that superchargers are much more durable and long-lived than turbos are, but how long would you expect a well-built SC like Avenger to last? I think that the 3.8L is capable of putting out far more than the Wrangler is squeezing out of it, so I would expect that the engine would last well into the 100K range, supercharged or not... after all, it's not like you're throwing 30psi of boost into it!

I'm pretty happy overall with the 3.8L's performance in my 2-door, but I'd like to have a little more punch on tap at highway speeds... but the wife could never be convinced of the need for a supercharger... Or could she?
Your car guys must be confused..Turbos are a much better more efficient way to boost a car.In the 70's turbos had trouble because of poor design and lack of fresh oil cooling the turbos themselves..Now the new turbos are extremly well balanced and use great oil cooling as well as ball bearings in them..Suoerchargers are good but won't last as long as a turbo application..Most people go supercharger because of the ease of install compared to the turbo systems..A typical well designed quality built supercharger would have a 75,000 to 100,000 mile life span..

In street trim the supercharger would only be putting out an additional 3.5 to 5 psi of boost..Not enough to shorten the life of your motor to 50k miles..I would think the avenger would probably net you 65 hp at the rear wheels..Not bad for a vehicle that probably dynos around 175 at the rear wheels if that..

I will be getting a sc not because I want a drag jeep,but because I want a jeep that can get out of it's own way at freeway speeds..Once I add some meats and a lift it will need the extra HP and torque..

Not to mention the cool factor..
Old 03-17-2007, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

To add to the mix, if you plan on a SC, what gears do you plan on running? For ex., running 37's with a SC would you stay with 4.10's (if that is what you have)?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's a question I would like to hear an answer to, what is the gear situation if you run a supercharger? Anybody???
Old 04-26-2007, 02:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just sent an email to Avenger superchargers. This is there prompt response.

Clint we have had to make several changes to the orignal design and have
those worked out.We are currently having the hood scoop and air intake
tubes made. We are expecting the kit to be available by the end of may. we
are estimating the price to be about $4,295.00. The supercharger should not
affect the warranty as it is a dirrect bolt on to the outside of the motor.
We will only warranty the supercharger for 1 year from time of purchase.At
this time the 3.8 kit is not carb certified but should be by the end of this year.
thank you,
Butch
Avenger Superchargers

I would love to get my hand on one of these.

Last edited by wayoflifette; 04-26-2007 at 03:00 PM. Reason: please refrain from posting contact info from non sponsoring manufacturers
Old 04-26-2007, 04:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndrewZ
...Turbos are a much better more efficient way to boost a car...
The key word there is..."car." Turbos woudn't necessarily be suited to a Jeep application. With a supercharger, there is no "turbo lag." You have extra horsepower readily available, just off idle. A turbo would need a few thousand RPMs to build boost. Most of us don't want to be turning that many revs while rock crawling. If you're into mud bogging, that might be a different story.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Renegade
The key word there is..."car." Turbos woudn't necessarily be suited to a Jeep application. With a supercharger, there is no "turbo lag." You have extra horsepower readily available, just off idle. A turbo would need a few thousand RPMs to build boost. Most of us don't want to be turning that many revs while rock crawling. If you're into mud bogging, that might be a different story.
the supercharger pulls through the entire RPM range. awesome for mall crawlers, mudders, and dune-rats. i'll be looking into it shortly after the skids, winch, lift, 37"s, alloy shafts, and stitches from banging my head because i can't get out of my own way.

Quick Reply: Avenger Supercharger?