Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Avenger, Hesco or Ripp???

Old 09-05-2008, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gearing is 4.10, but I am also on 36" tires so might be time for 5.13.

Supercharge over Turbo for that reason exactly - spool up. Wish I could afford a Hemi.

traction control off. I was in 4Lo.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ripp!!!!

I have the Ripp and love it. The jeep feels like it has a larger displacement engine now. It is much more enjoyable to drive now and does great pulling up long inclines, when it used to bog down. Can't comment on any others out there, but I did my research and decided to go with Ripp after meeting Ross. He is a perfectionist when it comes to his products and that is a great quality to have when dealing with expensive motors. I went to his shop and he even showed me their test mule motor that they took apart after 30,000 miles. The motor looked great and I didn't see any major wear on any of the components. All I can say is that I am VERY happy with my decision.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

whats the pricing differences? I know the RIpp is ~5k. I wish it were 1K id have my card out now. ahh.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Ordered my RIPP today, total with shipping $4800....$5100 with methanol intercooler
Old 09-22-2008, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

I figured more people would chime in here. Anyone have more info on prices and HP?
Old 09-22-2008, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob4607
Why is the supercharger more of a preference over a turbo kit? The only thing that I can figure is the lack of low rpm boost due to having to "spool" up the turbo, what are the other reasons? This is a question...
The centrifugal has similar charactoristics as a Turbo, where it has to "spool up". Not exactly the same but you don't have added power at Idle.

The Roots type you do have power starting at Idle and increasing all the way to redline.

I think the main reason for any SC over a TC is heat. I have a Turbo on my DD and I can tell you that my underhood temps are considerably higher then stock, and I even have 3 giant holes cut in my hood. I've wrapped all the pipes with header wrap to try and get the temps down but it's a constant battle.

SCers only increase the intake temps due to compression so the under hood temps should not increase by much which is better for slow offroad use. Depending on the SC you also don't have to mess with your oiling system which can be another pain in the butt.
3rdly since we have a V6 it makes the piping for a TC more complicated, you could do a twin Turbo setup but that's a very expensive route and more complicated in it's own way.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WV99XJ
I figured more people would chime in here. Anyone have more info on prices and HP?
Let us know if you need any info from us, we are here to help.

Originally Posted by benmar2000
My question is how well will a RIPP work with a snorkel setup.. Like one from River Raiders..
We’ve been running it for over 3 month now, it works great. RIPP will be selling a carbon fiber air filter box which converts the open air unit to the snorkel unit. We personally use the snorkel as a cold air feed with the open element and run the snorkel when we will be playing off road. Our opinion is the snorkel creates a bit of a resistance, which costs a psi or two throughout the RPM band. .. its doesn’t significantly impact power but there is a difference…

Originally Posted by FuLcRuM
The centrifugal has similar charactoristics as a Turbo, where it has to "spool up". Not exactly the same but you don't have added power at Idle.

The Roots type you do have power starting at Idle and increasing all the way to redline.

I think the main reason for any SC over a TC is heat. I have a Turbo on my DD and I can tell you that my underhood temps are considerably higher then stock, and I even have 3 giant holes cut in my hood. I've wrapped all the pipes with header wrap to try and get the temps down but it's a constant battle.

SCers only increase the intake temps due to compression so the under hood temps should not increase by much which is better for slow offroad use. Depending on the SC you also don't have to mess with your oiling system which can be another pain in the butt.
3rdly since we have a V6 it makes the piping for a TC more complicated, you could do a twin Turbo setup but that's a very expensive route and more complicated in it's own way.
Thanks for the input that’s excellent information and very informative. Our take on this is the roots type blowers (in our research) are nice in the lower RPM band however as you reach mid to high RPM the roots type charges create an enormous amount of drag. It can take as much as 20HP to make 8psi- whereas the centrifugal only requires 7hp to make 11psi. Furthermore the roots tend to be short of breath at the higher RPM and the power curve falls right off. Turbo’s on the other hand like you said produce a lot of heat which needs cooling or venting, not to mention they really don’t like to get wet as often crack after being frequently cooled/heated – however there is another variable which is total boost output. Turbo-boost-curves are very jumpy – meaning depending on the load they could spike or over boost quit easily. Further more because the exhaust is so hot they require fuel to cool them down, often running rich then lean – this is a condition the JK simply won’t put up with from the tuning side.

The Centrifugal (RIPP choice of superchargers) is the happy median – at lower RPM we take advantage of the air volume making your JK more fuel efficient, from 2500rpm and up the volumetric efficiency of both the engine and blower cross and boost just sails on in and off you go.

Lastly in our opinion and in the opinion of many of our users, because centrifugal superchargers are so linear in there boost delivery they are really easy to modulate both on and off road – whereas the power is very easy to find and make use off with no surprises like from a turbo or that "rubber band" type power you get from a roots style. That’s not to say that our system is for everyone, it’s just an all around solid kit that’s easy own right out of the box.

Question welcome,
RIPPTECH
Old 07-28-2009, 03:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Future RIPPer...

I have owned 3 cent chargers and 2 roots chargers and have to say for the 3.8 I am going to go with the RIPP charger once the wallet will allow. The install on cent chargers is a lot easier and straight forward and on smaller engines designed for higher rpm running they make a BIG difference( IMO )

Chad
Old 07-28-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by x No Compromise Offroad x
Ordered my RIPP today, total with shipping $4800....$5100 with methanol intercooler
This is going on your hemi?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by x No Compromise Offroad x
That SC for sale? Cant be going on that hemi!

Quick Reply: Avenger, Hesco or Ripp???