Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AUX FUEL TANK..Do you have one?..Do you want to get one?

Old 02-10-2017, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks for the responses

I am definitely going to install some form of permanent additional fuel capacity and was looking forward to hearing from those that could review their installation since this forum has such a large base from all walks of life.

Thanks to all that have responded so far. I thought there would have been more response from those that have actually installed an auxiliary tank. Perhaps an auxiliary tank is not as common as I originally thought as the range of the JK is less than ideal.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Old 02-10-2017, 09:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
AEV has a 'fuel caddy' that gives you an extra 10 gallons on your spare tire.
There's also Titan Fuel Tanks, which is pretty much a knock off of the AEV tank.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought they'd be more popular, too, because of all the supercharger and LS modded JK's out there. Guess we have more accessibility to fuel in our wheeling lands than they do in the Outback.

GenRight is also an option, they make one that mounts where the OEM muffler is located. It's not one I considered because you have to change the exhaust and I loathe the fartcan sound of most muffler-less exhausts. 20 gallons extra adds another 250 miles, which would be nice.

I heard back from ARB and they don't import the LongRanger because the evap system is different in the Australian market. I asked if they have plans to build a USA version or if the AUS version be modified to fit, probably won't get a response until Monday.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I talked to arb before about it. If you move the evap I think that is all that is required, the resonator is close but I don't think it was a show stopper. There is a company called outback proven that has a version as well (I think). I could never get past the price unfortunately...
Old 02-14-2017, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Installation costs for genright

Originally Posted by Asinine
I thought they'd be more popular, too, because of all the supercharger and LS modded JK's out there. Guess we have more accessibility to fuel in our wheeling lands than they do in the Outback.

GenRight is also an option, they make one that mounts where the OEM muffler is located. It's not one I considered because you have to change the exhaust and I loathe the fartcan sound of most muffler-less exhausts. 20 gallons extra adds another 250 miles, which would be nice.

I heard back from ARB and they don't import the LongRanger because the evap system is different in the Australian market. I asked if they have plans to build a USA version or if the AUS version be modified to fit, probably won't get a response until Monday.
I would be interested in hearing the response from ARB to you as well.

I spoke with GenRight and they have 20/gal and 25/gal auxiliary tank options. Both cost $1999.99. However, there are other costs that must be considered if installing their tank. They use an additional OEM fuel pump assy for their tank and it costs around $339, another sway bar such as the Currie Anti-Rock must be used at around $591 and the exhaust needs to be modified by removing both the muffler under the rear cargo section and the resonator under the driver side and replacing with a muffler under the driver side and re routing the exhaust pipe around the new tank. If the 25/gal tank is selected there is a JK5 extension kit that must be used for that install (as the fuel pickup is lower with this tank) at a cost of $50. Then there is the cost of labor to install. Andrew at GenRight told me they charge by the day at a daily rate of $1,000 per day or $3,000 for the install and they probably would not have a bay available for a couple of weeks or more. There is another shop in San Fernando Valley that has done GenRIght tank installs before. I spoke with him and he stated it takes around 20/hrs at a labor rate of $120 for a total labor cost in the neighborhood of $2,400. That puts the total cost at around $6,000.

I guess the Just Empty Every Pocket saying applies for this as well.

KG6SLC aka Eugene

Last edited by KG6SLC; 02-14-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Holy smokes....$6,000 for some extra gas? They think mighty highly of that tank and elaborate install, hey? That's a tough pill to swallow unless you really need the extra capacity on tap and ready to burn.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Just Empty Every Pocket

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Holy smokes....$6,000 for some extra gas? They think mighty highly of that tank and elaborate install, hey? That's a tough pill to swallow unless you really need the extra capacity on tap and ready to burn.
You got that right! I'm entertaining all options but I definitely prefer having a permanent setup.

I'm still trying to figure out why it takes three days to remove a muffler and install a fuel tank. The first install I can see taking a bit longer with the learning curve and all ...but three days?

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Old 02-16-2017, 08:55 PM
JK Super Freak

I opted for two Jerry cans mounted on a OR Fab tire and gas can carrier. 10 extra gallons that helped skipping the gas stations a few times.

With the 35 in tire and all the carrier tubes protecting the cans a rear impact would have to be considerable to damage them.

I like the Jerry cans' flexibility. Can take them anywhere and even with me leaving the Jeep somewhere else while going filling them up.

Quick Reply: AUX FUEL TANK..Do you have one?..Do you want to get one?