Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Auto transmission problem

Old 09-13-2020, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto transmission problem

Looking for some advice about a problem I’m having.

I have an 07 JK with 35” tires that has been well-cared for since new. A few times it has not engaged drive when shifting from park or neutral and behaves as though its still in neutral. Also, when I have come to a stop it has dropped out of drive into neutral. When in drive, it runs well and shifts through all the gears properly. Has anyone else had this problem? I think it’s the transmission shift cable, but wondering what else it could be.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2020, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Did you check the fluid level? On the earlier jk transmission has to be in neutral to check it
Old 09-13-2020, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks. We checked the transmission fluid, and that is not it.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Did you check it with the engine running?
Old 02-16-2021, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Brodmans4
Looking for some advice about a problem I’m having.

I have an 07 JK with 35” tires that has been well-cared for since new. A few times it has not engaged drive when shifting from park or neutral and behaves as though its still in neutral. Also, when I have come to a stop it has dropped out of drive into neutral. When in drive, it runs well and shifts through all the gears properly. Has anyone else had this problem? I think it’s the transmission shift cable, but wondering what else it could be.

Thanks!
Hi Brodmans4,

I experience the same problem. It does not engage to drive, rear, 1 or 2... I have to go up in rpm on Drive (around 1500/2000 rpm) for it to engage but this could damage the transmission... Did you find a way to resolve the problem?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Auto transmission problem