Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Auto Transmission High temps myth or truth ?

Old 05-30-2008, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Transmission High temps myth or truth ?

OK Myth or truth? . I have a 2007 JK Wrangler x model 2 door with 33x12.5. All Terrain tires 3inch lift kit . Auto Trans with AC and 410 Dana 44 rear Dana 30 front axle with 6500 miles on it. All stock from jeep except lift and tires. Stock radiator and so on. Just had head gaskets replaced due to oil leak all seems well motor wise. Took Tranny temp readings on supply line right out of tranny ( didn’t want to drop pan and drill hole ). Live in Long Island NY Temp outside during testing was 75 Degrees.
Ok well driving around town Tempeture ran average about 192 degrees, while driving at 65 mph temp ran 175 180. Stop at a light while tyranny was in gear average temp was 205 put in neutral and temp did drop 7 degrees so putting it in neutral l does drop temp while in traffic. In traffic with ac on 210 in gear in neutral temp dropped slightly.
4 wheeling sorry boys shot through the roof going in 4 high on fine sand at beach about 18 mph tires aired down to 18psi, ran 219, put ac on to bring on fan to cool no change whatsoever. 4 low was even worse 227 same circumstances. Drove back home at 65mph now its cooler out about 60 degrees and she still ran 180 however fan never came on due to motor was cool enough.
So MYTH BUSTED these trannys do run HOT, with stock tranny cooler, especially off roading where we normally drive about 20mph.If it were 85 90 degrees out I am sure it would been worse. So it’s safe to say tranny cooler of any sort would help this situation so if you off road a lot like me a tranny cooler is a must. Talked with dealer tranny cooler will not void warranty unless it is proven cooler was at fault, but the way we lift and put bigger tires on these jeeps they already have a way out. Imagine what temps are running on 4 door auto transmissions. Has to be a bit higher. Oh and yes my radiator was properly washed through before testing so I know it was clear airflow.
Was told buiy dealer who I am very tight with and they love my jeep all rigged up. Tranny hits 230 for a certain amount of time than the infamous beep will sound and an alarm will be stored on the computer so dealer can tell tranny was overheated at one time. My fluid smells good and is very pink in color and no high temp tranny alarm was found on my truck so now is a good time for me to install tranny cooler.
Part 2 yet to come ordered 18,000 btu fin and tube type tranny cooler. More efficient than radiator type coolers plus a little smaller. Only supposed to go 3 times weight of the car with coolers don’t want it running to cool. As read by manufactures 170 180 is where we want to be with these transmissions. So the cooler has been ordered after install will perform same test and post the results. Sorry so long wanted to be accurate.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Nice job

Very thorough problem statement. I'll be really interested in hearing a similar scenario after you have added a cooler. Any timeline for when you think you might get that in?
Old 06-01-2008, 04:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice description. There's another member who has already done this whole scenario with and without the cooler and the cooler made a hell of a difference. I think it's in the writeup section. The reason the trans fluid temp gets hot is two fold. First, the factory cooler is located in the A/C condenser, that is used to dissapate HEAT away from the A/C system. That was about a stupid design. Secondly, the cooler is located in the last 5 or so inches of the condenser on the BOTTOM, where it gets the least amount of airflow it ever could. When you install your cooler it will make a hell of a difference. I have one as well, but have not had a chance to install it.

On edit: Here is the link to paratus13's writeup. It's a very nice install and the writeup is well thought out. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/transmission-cooler-37839/

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 06-01-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Midblues
OK Myth or truth? . I have a 2007 JK Wrangler x model 2 door with 33x12.5. All Terrain tires 3inch lift kit . Auto Trans with AC and 410 Dana 44 rear Dana 30 front axle with 6500 miles on it. All stock from jeep except lift and tires. Stock radiator and so on. Just had head gaskets replaced due to oil leak all seems well motor wise. Took Tranny temp readings on supply line right out of tranny ( didn’t want to drop pan and drill hole ). Live in Long Island NY Temp outside during testing was 75 Degrees.
Ok well driving around town Tempeture ran average about 192 degrees, while driving at 65 mph temp ran 175 180. Stop at a light while tyranny was in gear average temp was 205 put in neutral and temp did drop 7 degrees so putting it in neutral l does drop temp while in traffic. In traffic with ac on 210 in gear in neutral temp dropped slightly.
4 wheeling sorry boys shot through the roof going in 4 high on fine sand at beach about 18 mph tires aired down to 18psi, ran 219, put ac on to bring on fan to cool no change whatsoever. 4 low was even worse 227 same circumstances. Drove back home at 65mph now its cooler out about 60 degrees and she still ran 180 however fan never came on due to motor was cool enough.
So MYTH BUSTED these trannys do run HOT, with stock tranny cooler, especially off roading where we normally drive about 20mph.If it were 85 90 degrees out I am sure it would been worse. So it’s safe to say tranny cooler of any sort would help this situation so if you off road a lot like me a tranny cooler is a must. Talked with dealer tranny cooler will not void warranty unless it is proven cooler was at fault, but the way we lift and put bigger tires on these jeeps they already have a way out. Imagine what temps are running on 4 door auto transmissions. Has to be a bit higher. Oh and yes my radiator was properly washed through before testing so I know it was clear airflow.
Was told buiy dealer who I am very tight with and they love my jeep all rigged up. Tranny hits 230 for a certain amount of time than the infamous beep will sound and an alarm will be stored on the computer so dealer can tell tranny was overheated at one time. My fluid smells good and is very pink in color and no high temp tranny alarm was found on my truck so now is a good time for me to install tranny cooler.
Part 2 yet to come ordered 18,000 btu fin and tube type tranny cooler. More efficient than radiator type coolers plus a little smaller. Only supposed to go 3 times weight of the car with coolers don’t want it running to cool. As read by manufactures 170 180 is where we want to be with these transmissions. So the cooler has been ordered after install will perform same test and post the results. Sorry so long wanted to be accurate.
Good info.
Both paratus13 and BodyGuy did an install with pics in the "Write Up" section. search "transmissin coolers". paratus13 used a B&M SuperCooler model # 70268. A good buy from summit racing for just under $50.00. He stated he was getting readings over 210*, however after the install has not exceeded 170*. This looks like a very good mod, for even the stock JK's.
I recieved my cooler yesterday but have not yet did the install. I want to talk to my dealer first to make perfectully sure there will be no waranty voiding issues.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Default Tranny cooler

I am aware of why we have this problem and have ordered one from bulkparts.com rated fro 18,000 lbs should be here thursday hope to get in this weekend will post tempeture results after install.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Default Cooler in

Ok here are the results its a lot easyier then before because did all of the same stuff on the beach only difference was it is now 90 degrees outside and the tranny never exceeded 185 in 4 whee l hi and low at 90 degrees plus outside. Regular driving 170 with ac on.I could really tell the difference on the beach with the shifting not always trying to downshift, much better performce overall.
So would have to say tranny cooler is a good investment well worth $60 and the install is pretty easy. If you have larger tires like I do its a must have.
If you are worried about the warranty stuff if you have larger tires and there is aproblem with tranny they already have a way out so you should put in a tranny cooler to avoild problems.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 20 miles in sand

Originally Posted by Midblues
Ok here are the results its a lot easyier then before because did all of the same stuff on the beach only difference was it is now 90 degrees outside and the tranny never exceeded 185 in 4 whee l hi and low at 90 degrees plus outside. Regular driving 170 with ac on.I could really tell the difference on the beach with the shifting not always trying to downshift, much better performce overall.
So would have to say tranny cooler is a good investment well worth $60 and the install is pretty easy. If you have larger tires like I do its a must have.
If you are worried about the warranty stuff if you have larger tires and there is aproblem with tranny they already have a way out so you should put in a tranny cooler to avoild problems.
Last week I drove from Corolla NC to the Va state line, 20 miles round trip on the beach, some hard packed, some loose, and some very loose. With my cooler I didn't worry about overheating the tranny and puking fluid. I had NO issues whatsoever. I've got a 26000 lb GVW sized cooler, I agree with your statement about overcooling, however NONE of my driving is short distance low speed, it's all 50 mile 75mph commuting. So far so good....

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission High temps myth or truth ?