Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Auto Trans Cooler???

Old 07-27-2009, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Trans Cooler???

how many of you guys have a transmision cooller???? is that necesary??? in what enviroments????
Old 07-27-2009, 10:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ulimited x came with a stock transmission cooler and I havn't had any problems yet 7,000 miles. Some guys on here said there hot oil trans light came on and they have been putting on an additional cooler inline with the stock one.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:44 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

how many of you guys have a transmision cooller???? is that necesary??? in what enviroments????
A lot of us!!!! Opinions vary, but certainly doesn't hurt!!!! Anywhere you get the transmission hot!!!!

Here are a few Transmission Cooler threads that a quick 'search' pulled up...
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...mission+cooler

Last edited by nthinuf; 07-27-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Super Freak

if you have an automatic tranny it's necessity IMHO
Old 07-28-2009, 10:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

passive coolers are probably good enough for mountain driving and towing. But if low speed rock crawling is your thing (especially in the desert heat), a fan-equipped cooler is a very good thing.

A tranny temp gauge is a good idea, too. Lot's of posters (including me) like the aeroforce interceptor.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

any movement at all will transfer heat buildup from a ''passive cooler''. Fans are nice, but if you are not towing a railroad car, they are not necessary....My cooler is quite large, for a vehicle up to 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight. I've had it over a year, no issues at all...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tranny cooler 004.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	27659  
Old 07-28-2009, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default Which cooler do you have?

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
any movement at all will transfer heat buildup from a ''passive cooler''. Fans are nice, but if you are not towing a railroad car, they are not necessary....My cooler is quite large, for a vehicle up to 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight. I've had it over a year, no issues at all...
Which cooler do you have?

Being that it is so large; does it block air from the radiator or anything behind it?

Cheers,

Joel
Old 07-29-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it is a Flexalite 26,000 GVW 8 tube cooler. I ordered it from Amazon.com, $46.00 delivered. I think they are a few bucks more now.....I had to add exactly one quart of fluid to compensate for the cooler volume. The ribbed hose connectors were wrong, I bought the correct ones at Lowes for a couple of bucks. I also got the plumbing strap and the 1/2'' rubber-lined plumbing clamps there also. Look closely at my photo and you can see how I mounted mine. The engine temperature guage has never moved one iota and the A/C was not affected at all.....

Quick Reply: Auto Trans Cooler???