Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

auto tranny temps vs. gearing vs. tire size

Old 09-14-2009, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Now, this is what I can't figure out. Why is there such a wide range of temps seen by peoples' Jeeps, similarly equipped, under similar conditions?
Does everyone have their transmission temp gauge installed in the same spot? I don't have one but have been thinking about doing this so I can see what temp my jk transmission runs. Which temp gauge do you recommend and where abouts would be the best spot to install it?
Old 09-14-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by vs_jk
Does everyone have their transmission temp gauge installed in the same spot? I don't have one but have been thinking about doing this so I can see what temp my jk transmission runs. Which temp gauge do you recommend and where abouts would be the best spot to install it?
The easiest thing to do is get an AeroForce Interceptor gauge. It plugs into the OBDII port and reads tranny temp, and many other things the computer keeps track of.
The computer gets its reading from a sensor in the sump.
Before I got the AeroForce Gauge, I installed an aftermarket sensor in the tranny sump pan, and a gauge on the driver's A pillar. The two gauges read fairly close to each other.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Now, this is what I can't figure out. Why is there such a wide range of temps seen by peoples' Jeeps, similarly equipped, under similar conditions?
When I drive as described by Jiblet above, my tranny temp is in the 115 to 130 range, even on a hot day. I don't have an aux cooler, either.
It is strange, the only thing I can think of is that I had been driving some hills but moving right along (so lots of air flow over the stock cooler) then I hit the moderate traffic downtown (I was in Rutland VT). After sitting at a few stop lights I noticed the climbing temps (no air flow). Plus it was a pretty warm July afternoon. Maybe in the high 80's. Probably had the AC off, too.

I got my cooler before I bought the gauge but I purposely waited for the gauge so I could monitor the temps for a couple weeks without the cooler. The addition of the aux cooler brought down my average temps by 30-40 degrees. I only saw 170 once during a very long, slow, steep drive up and over a mountain pass in the Bridger-Tetons.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im starting to think my sensor may be suspicious. I ran the jeep on the highway last night. I ran one way at 70 mph in OD at about 2000 rpm. The temperature slowly climbed to 200. When I got off the highway and onto side streets it took a solid 15 minutes to get back down to 175. On the way home I turned the OD off. ran 70 mph at about 2600 rpm with the same result, it steadily climbed to 200 degrees. I slowed down to 65 and it started to cool. As it was cooling, it got to about 195 and I got the "ding" and the idiot light came on... Doesn't make sense. I thought i read somewhere that was designed to go off well over 200 degrees (like 240-250). I assume the aeroforce gauge is getting the temp from the same place as the computer? When i got home, i checked the DTC's and there were none?? Has anyone heard of the tranny temp sensor being bad?

Quick Reply: auto tranny temps vs. gearing vs. tire size