Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Auto to Manual Transmission Swap

Old 01-17-2023, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Auto to Manual Transmission Swap

I'm currently researching ways to swap my 2011 JKU 3.8L from an Automatic to a Manual Transmission and could use some help from the manual community with some questions.

First: The Yellow/Orange & Black Ground wire from the Clutch Master Cylinder Position Sensor leads to a connecter in either the PCM or TIPM and I cannot figure out which one and which pin it is for proper wiring without replacing the Dash harness which currently fetches a premium. If anyone has any information helps

Second: The Dark Greek & White Wire from the Backup Lamp Switch on the Transmission runs to the PCM. It's a 34-pin connector but I'm not exactly sure which connector, There are 4 on the back of the PCM, I believe it is the far right.

Third: Has anyone had a PCM flash? on know a personal tuner that can play with PCM settings like the transmission.

Besides this, the Mechanics behind it and the parts list is fairly simple and ill be sure to post as much information and the results upon completion

I know a lot of people are going to say just trade it in and get a manual and save the headache but it's not exactly that simple. I've had it for about 7 years now and there are a lot of irreversible modifications to it which will make it a hard sell / trade it. Plus the personal value I have for it.

Any help is hugely appreciated
Old 01-18-2023, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Your ECU for starters has one more plug than a manual ECU. A complete manual kit may be hard to find (clutch, TO Bearing, pilot bearing, fork, pivots, MC, Slave, Flywheel, dust cover, pedals, springs, pedal shaft, hose, gear lever, seals and boots, console floor plate, trim ring). I had one when I did my conversion to Chev/8 Auto from manual and that went to a guy going from auto but to a TDI VW conversion with adapter to manual. If you can get past the equipment roundup then I suggest you buy the 2011 wiring diagram from Mopar and compare as it has all the wiring differences. You also have to get in to the ECU and disable (and enable) functions related to the two transmission options. Not sure if HPTuners works for that but that alone is a $300 option. Clutch interlock is shown on wiring diagram and should be simple. Then there is the reverse lights. But coding out the ECU is the thing and I attach a page of my HP Tuner tune as it was manual so it simply says Manual Equipped and no other transmission diagnostics or settings are available. You may have to go into torque settings and stuff to copy them from a manual etc. Also if you get/find a second hand transmission I highly recommend you take it apart and look and replace as required the selectors, synchros, bearings and seals. Latter two for sure as bearing failures causes gear rattle under load.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Trans on HPT.pdf (134.4 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 01-18-2023 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Auto to Manual Transmission Swap