Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

aussie lockers?

Old 05-08-2016, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aussie lockers?

Looking to boost my offroad ability a little and im contemplating an aussie locker in the rear. Ive got a 2014 2dr manual, open diff, 3.21 gears. I had a lock right in my ranger so im aware of how these lunchbox lockers work. Any reason why this would be a bad idea?
Old 05-08-2016, 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're badass for drifting around bends, they work great on the trails, they're cheap. Cons: sucks complete dick turning in parking lots and pulling into places- with an automatic it might not be so bad but having a manual it creates major slack in the driveline and slaps like a pissed off stripper. I'm running them f/r and daily drive a total of 3 hours a day. They're just fine in the snow and rain unless you're an idiot. If you can put up with a little bullshit I say get one.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
They're badass for drifting around bends, they work great on the trails, they're cheap. Cons: sucks complete dick turning in parking lots and pulling into places- with an automatic it might not be so bad but having a manual it creates major slack in the driveline and slaps like a pissed off stripper. I'm running them f/r and daily drive a total of 3 hours a day. They're just fine in the snow and rain unless you're an idiot. If you can put up with a little bullshit I say get one.
Lol im definitely familiar with their parking lot manners and the rain thing, my ranger would do some hellacious donuts with one but is it really that bad in a manual?
Old 05-09-2016, 03:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black_14_jks
Looking to boost my offroad ability a little and im contemplating an aussie locker in the rear. Ive got a 2014 2dr manual, open diff, 3.21 gears. I had a lock right in my ranger so im aware of how these lunchbox lockers work. Any reason why this would be a bad idea?
Can you describe what a lunchbox locker is? I have heard the term, but I am not sure exactly what it mean.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by El_Jeepster
Can you describe what a lunchbox locker is? I have heard the term, but I am not sure exactly what it mean.
Here is a link that will help you out. Basically a lunchbox locker replaces your spider gears in the carrier and is an auto locker that engages when the differential in wheel speed is felt and it will engage. Great off-road but sucks on the road when trying to tight into a parking spot.

Lunchbox Lockers - What is a Lunchbox locker?

R/
Will
Old 05-09-2016, 04:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by black_14_jks
Lol im definitely familiar with their parking lot manners and the rain thing, my ranger would do some hellacious donuts with one but is it really that bad in a manual?
I've never drove an automatic with one so I have no experience but with a manual almost everytime you shift it kinda jerks.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:43 AM
JK Super Freak

But I will say that they have probably the best customer service I've ever seen. It was my first time installing one and I was also regearing my jeep at the same time so I had a few questions and Cora answered everything and gave me her number incase I had further troubles. I had a few questions after the install about the quirks of it and she helped as much as she could.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just put it in the front that way you still have normal driving conditions unless you are in 4wd. With it in the front it will still act like an open diff.
I ran an open rear and Aussie front in my 2dr and it could go almost anywhere.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
But I will say that they have probably the best customer service I've ever seen. It was my first time installing one and I was also regearing my jeep at the same time so I had a few questions and Cora answered everything and gave me her number incase I had further troubles. I had a few questions after the install about the quirks of it and she helped as much as she could.
Chuck you dog... You got skills 😎 Getting the girl number over the phone.... J/K 😄

On a serious note good to hear they have good customer service. Sucks when you buy stuff and they act like your some idiot. I try to stay away from those companies.

Even though it's Aussie it's made in America! Another plus.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Chuck you dog... You got skills dde0e Getting the girl number over the phone.... J/K dde04 On a serious note good to hear they have good customer service. Sucks when you buy stuff and they act like your some idiot. I try to stay away from those companies. Even though it's Aussie it's made in America! Another plus.
Oh stop, you're making me blush! I loled forreal though hahaha..
I'll admit, they're obviously not the "best" and they do have their quirks, but for the price you can't beat them. I paid $159 for the front used, and $200 for the rear used (never installed). The rear took longer because I'm a complete idiot and was trying to know the roll pin for the carrier out the wrong way (ended up getting a screw driver wedged and it was a f-ing mess), but the front was smooth and took MAYBE an hour, tops. Hard to beat that for the traction offroad..

Quick Reply: aussie lockers?