Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aussie Locker D30 Install Question

Old 07-13-2009, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aussie Locker D30 Install Question

I got my Aussie Locker for my Dana30 from brown santa today..

A friend of mine at work has put many lockers in old CJ's and XJ's and said he would put it in no problem but asked about a center pin and how hard it was to remove. He mentioned on some of the older axles he had to grind some teeth away to pull the pin. (I have no idea about any of this stuff I'm mechanically retarded)

I've got an 08 with an auto.. (if this makes any difference)

Any advice?
Old 07-13-2009, 06:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might wanna pm bigbluejk or Redneckjeep. bigblue had one in his I believe and took it out. Redneck has one for his, I dunno if he has it in yet but he knows how to install it. Also BlackNorthernJK is a wealth of knowledge. I have one, but didn't do the install.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The ring gear has to be removed to get the roll pin out. Nothing to it. Certainly, it does not require grinding anything. Perhaps a new "mechanic" is in order. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 07-13-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Aussie Locker.

I found 2 good articles for installing this locker. Its pretty straight forward. The spin test worked just as it was supposed to. The thing is after waiting a year for this JK specific locker I couldn't use the blue thrust washers included with this kit because the pinion shaft wouldn't slide in. After calling Aussie and while waiting for a tech to return my call I put it together with the stock washers. The tolerances were all within spec and when the tech called he said it would be no problem to use them as all the other kits reuse the origional thrust washers. Mine is a November 06 build and something may have been changed up on the 08's. Unnoticible on the street, we'll see what it's like this winter. For the time it takes it could easily be switched out.
Ron O.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Wow... definately don't grind anything. You do have to remove the ring gear as Redneck stated, but don't let him touch your ring gear. Crazy Talk!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:57 AM
JK Junkie

I don't think he should be touching any type of tool if he asked a question such as that and has done a procedure such as the one you stated.

Quick Reply: Aussie Locker D30 Install Question