Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aussie Locker

Old 07-28-2016, 10:50 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Lol. If you think going over a couple rocks is hard wheeling you are sadly mistaken. I'm not talking about going over some rocks on flat ground, I'm talking about climbing hills that are 150 yards to the top being off camber 90% of the time, where if you lose traction you're ****ed.

Doesn't look much harder than what we got at Truck Hill @ Hollister. Maybe 30-40 yards longer but no biggie lol. If it's pouring rain that's another issue but I'm not stupid enough to do it even if I had both axles locked lol

Of course these guys don't know what the hell they're doing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTGXytEuwoQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZL4Wq43ZIk
On the other hand here's me on my 1st attempt banging the shit off my rev limiter because they told me to keep it in 1st. Probably didn't help I was on 35's with 3.73's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGDBjIMKvyM

Last edited by DJ1; 07-28-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:56 AM
JK Super Freak

It's simply semantics at this point. This conversation turned into a dick measuring contest pretty quickly and I apologize. Although if anyone on the east coast wants to check out some good wheeling... Hit me up lol
Old 07-29-2016, 02:37 AM
DJ1
Former Member

that's why you'll never hear a definitive statement from me

...maybe with the exception of "all commies are retards" & "all wahhabi's are whack-jobs"

...or maybe I just hate the fact that for some reason the 2012+ have issues going into limp mode if you run anything but open, lsd, or selectable in the rear. At least I think that used to be the case...

Last edited by DJ1; 07-29-2016 at 02:42 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chuck is pretty much the authority on Lunchbox style lockers. If he says "They slap like a pissed off stripper" well then thats what they do. If I remember right he also uses his Jeep as a DD 20+ miles each way to work.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:00 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Chuck is pretty much the authority on Lunchbox style lockers. If he says "They slap like a pissed off stripper" well then thats what they do. If I remember right he also uses his Jeep as a DD 20+ miles each way to work.

20 miles one way....is that all? I do that just going to my mailbox and running errands lol......and that's with only 3 wheels on.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Lol I wouldn't say I have any authority over anything but I would say I have a lot of experience with them... It's actually about 45 miles give or take- 1.5 hours to Pittsburgh. I stopped using my jeep as a dad about a month ago though thankfully.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never understood how so many people love the Tru-tracks. I've seen them in action/ drove jeeps with them, and while they're good for the street (pretty much open diff) they're garbage on the trails. They're good for getting back to a hunting spot or something, but so are open diffs. Limited slips are a waste imo- either stay open or lock it.
As for the Aussie in the rear, i would much rather just run a welded diff. When I pick up another carrier I plan on it.
It's simply semantics at this point. This conversation turned into a dick measuring contest pretty quickly and I apologize. Although if anyone on the east coast wants to check out some good wheeling... Hit me up lol
Exactly, that's why I was very specific on what I want for my Jeep, a good balance between street and trail. I run OEM Sahara wheels and tires. I don't do trails as often as I would want and certainly won't go through trails that would damage my already paid off Jeep!

Before modding you need to know what you want out of your Jeep and modify accordingly, there are so many aftermarket alternatives many go crazy and end up hating the Jeep. Look at the "mods you regret" thread.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJ1
Garbage on the trails? Hmmmmm....interesting. Front open / Rear posi...

That's why if anything, I'd at least go with the best of both worlds and put a selectable up-front. 2 clicks on the e-brake does wonders when you really really need it and you can't beat a rear posi for street driving (rain or shine) where 90% of the DD rigs out there will spend 90% of their time.
With the JK you don't even need to use the e-brake, with the Brake Lock Differential. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv2DKDinfj0
Old 07-29-2016, 06:29 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by goaterguy
With the JK you don't even need to use the e-brake, with the Brake Lock Differential.

E-brake though you know it's working when you really need it...
Old 07-29-2016, 07:08 AM
JK Super Freak

That works fine for off camber shit that's on flat ground or close to it, it's not very good for ledges, Climbs, and many other situations.
I knew when I put the rear Aussie in it wouldn't be ideal and it would have problems, but i paid $100 for it brand new from another member. I'm gonna eventually take it out and just weld the spider gears. I'll take the small bind turning over a slapping drivetrain any day.

Quick Reply: Aussie Locker