Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aussie Locker

Old 11-04-2013, 04:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
There have been a few posts indicating that the weak spot is the spiders, not the r&p. So adding a traction device that replaces them may actually increase strength inside the pumpkin, while also doing more to limit wheel spin and help prevent snapped shafts or gear implosions.

Maybe one of the gear guru's will see this thread and chime in.
Yeah that is my problem I've seen conflicting arguments on what I have read.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Freewill
With an open diff, the tire with the least traction will begin to slip (unless something breaks first), taking stress off the ring and pinion. With a locked axle under the same conditions, neither tire will slip until both tires break traction (unless something breaks first). This puts more stress on the axle, making it easier to snap the gears or whatever happens to be the weak link, like axle shafts or u-joints.
Originally Posted by Bushmaster
However with less slippage and tyre spin because your using your lockers the risk of shock loading drive train components drops significantly making breakage far less likely.
Bushmaster is right, maintaining traction to both tires greatly reduces driveline shock. Constant traction to both tires is key. It up to the driver to recognize when I tire is bound up, but you're most likely to pop a ujoint or axle shaft.

With an open diff you're likely to break your spiders before anything else. And they have a nasty habbit of getting caught up in the ring gear and tearing shit up.

FWIW, you will likely have to remove the ring gear off the carrier to get the locker in due to the thickness of the gears. You can't get the cross pin out.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKred

Bushmaster is right, maintaining traction to both tires greatly reduces driveline shock. Constant traction to both tires is key. It up to the driver to recognize when I tire is bound up, but you're most likely to pop a ujoint or axle shaft.

With an open diff you're likely to break your spiders before anything else. And they have a nasty habbit of getting caught up in the ring gear and tearing shit up.

FWIW, you will likely have to remove the ring gear off the carrier to get the locker in due to the thickness of the gears. You can't get the cross pin out.
Thanks this is a very good answer and makes me feel more comfortable that I will most likely break u joint rather than the ring and pinion.

Quick Reply: Aussie Locker