Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Atx slabs

Old 02-25-2014, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Atx slabs

Recently had slabs mounted up with toyo 37x1350r17 with about 10k miles on them. Question is did I waste my time having them balanced? Driving away from the shop their is a shimmy in the steering between 45-55mph and seem unstable. I've read across threads where people don't balance some tires on these wheels and have no issues. Any ideas? I had no problems with these 37s before the slabs and all steering parts are in good check.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1426058755.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	533445  
Old 02-25-2014, 10:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just mounted 37s on Slabs a couple weeks ago. At first, I didn't think they needed to be balanced. After a week, I got a shimmy at around 50mph. Figured it couldn't hurt to get them balanced. They took very little weight:

Tire 1: 6oz
Tire 2 & 3: 3oz
Tire 4: .25oz

Shimmy is gone. Not sure where you live, but I'm in MI and noticed some water was pooling behind the lock ring. The water subsequently froze. That would definitely do it!

I'd also recheck the rings and make sure they are evenly seated.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:41 AM
JK Junkie

You may also try rotating the tires and see if that does it. I've had a shimmy happen following a rotation. Even a little uneven wear can cause an issue.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes you need to balance them. They must have made a mistake or you have a bad tire. I would go back and tell them you have a vibration that wasn't there before. They should rebalance them for free if a reputable shop. If it's still there after the second balance it could be a bad tire, or their error again.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by T&ERun
Yes you need to balance them. They must have made a mistake or you have a bad tire. I would go back and tell them you have a vibration that wasn't there before. They should rebalance them for free if a reputable shop. If it's still there after the second balance it could be a bad tire, or their error again.
X2 have them rebalanced. Toyos take very little weight, sometimes almost zero.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep wanting to pickup a set of Slabs, but then there is a bunch of folks with problems...

matthew
Old 02-25-2014, 06:11 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I keep wanting to pickup a set of Slabs, but then there is a bunch of folks with problems... matthew
I really don't think it's the wheels that are the issue. Just changing rim width is enough to throw the balance off. I have the same tires as you and have zero issues.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I really don't think it's the wheels that are the issue. Just changing rim width is enough to throw the balance off. I have the same tires as you and have zero issues.
How much of a difference do the Beadlocks make off-road?

I currently air down to around 12 psi...

On road are there any different characteristics?

matthew
Old 02-25-2014, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twinz33
Recently had slabs mounted up with toyo 37x1350r17 with about 10k miles on them. Question is did I waste my time having them balanced? Driving away from the shop their is a shimmy in the steering between 45-55mph and seem unstable. I've read across threads where people don't balance some tires on these wheels and have no issues. Any ideas? I had no problems with these 37s before the slabs and all steering parts are in good check.
Are these rims the same offset and width as the old ones? You can get a shimmy that will eventually go away caused by the tires now having a different wear pattern due to differences in wheel offset and width if they are different. A lot of people don't balance these because they are beadlocks, but should be attempted to balance for road use.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
How much of a difference do the Beadlocks make off-road? I currently air down to around 12 psi... On road are there any different characteristics? matthew
I can't answer your second question. I put the wheels and tires on at the same time.

You can safely air down to mid single digits (5 PSI). There are some videos out there that show what happens. It allows the tire to essentially wrap around the terrain rather than roll over it. It's a benefit in rocks and rough terrain. Doubt it does much for mud/sound. Plus, they look wicked sweet!

Quick Reply: Atx slabs