Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ATX Ravine wheel help

Old 10-02-2015, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATX Ravine wheel help

I have been looking for wheels to put on my stock 2013 JKU, and have been reading through the threads for months. I was going to go for pintlers but found I like the atx better. I want to run 285/70/17 as this is my daily ride. My question is there are 2 available, one with 5.14 backspace and another 4.53. I think the pintlers are 5.20 and work with these tires no problem. I will most likely not go to bigger tires than this. I don't want the tires to stick way out and have that goofy low rider look, can anyone give me any advice on how much difference the 4.53 would make? Thanks
Old 10-02-2015, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

285/70/17 = 32.7x11.2/17

If it were me, I'd probably go with the 4.53 backspacing. That leaves the door open to use different size tires in the 33" range. I don't think they would stick out really far and give a lowrider look. Actually, depending on the tire you chose, it could have a more stout off-road look.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go 4.53 that way they will jive better with any future mods/lift/tires.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Flea
285/70/17 = 32.7x11.2/17

If it were me, I'd probably go with the 4.53 backspacing. That leaves the door open to use different size tires in the 33" range. I don't think they would stick out really far and give a lowrider look. Actually, depending on the tire you chose, it could have a more stout off-road look.
Well, like I said, I don't plan on going much bigger than that, I'm almost 50 and live in NJ. No place to off road much here. Hopefully I can get outa here before I die!

Just wish I could see the difference on the wheels, or find someone who can show me
Old 10-02-2015, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tks66
Well, like I said, I don't plan on going much bigger than that, I'm almost 50 and live in NJ. No place to off road much here. Hopefully I can get outa here before I die!

Just wish I could see the difference on the wheels, or find someone who can show me
I wasn't really talking about you going larger. Rather, it was more about different options down the road in about the same tire size. You're already looking at 32.7", which I would throw into the general 33" category. It opens the door for using tires from different manufacturers that are in about the same size, but not necessarily the exact same size. Going with the 4.53 backspacing would open you up to go even larger, if you ever did decide to, but would would also let you work within the same size range.

I've been debating myself about whether I want my new Rubicon Hard Rock to wear 33" or 35" tires. Either way, when I've been looking at aftermarket wheels, I've been looking at options around 4.5 backspacing. They won't stick out too far, they'll give a more stout stance, and they'll provide good clearance for pretty much any size tire I'd ever run. I would never go higher than 35", but that would mostly be for looks. For me, 33" would likely be all I'd ever need. But again, around 4.5 backspacing is what I'd go with. This is why I would recommend the 4.53 for you.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:51 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by tks66
Stock rims are around 6.25" backspace. Stick a ruler against the rim and measure out about an inch, then measure out about 1.75". You could even add a bit more for the difference in rim width and tire width. Or don't worry about it.

Not a lot of rocket surgery here, should be fairly easy to mock up some cardboard or a piece of plywood or something at those distances to give you an idea of appx where the outside of the tires will be.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have LT285/70R17s on my JKU with 4.5" backspacing. Even if your move to LT315's you'll be just fine with the 5.14"s I'd go with those as the extra 1/2" of backspacing just isn't necessary. Remember, the wheels you are buying are universally-sized, whereas the AEV wheels you reference are designed specifically for the JK/JKU. 33"s, 35"s, and 37"s with the appropriate lift work seamlessly in AEV applications, use their research to your advantage.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:14 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated

Quick Reply: ATX Ravine wheel help