Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ATTENTION: Inspect Your Front Axle Housing!!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
Agree 100% with this statement and nothing more is needed.
You're no fun at all!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
I would still get the sleeves as it clearly prevented a total and catastrophic break for blazer4949. Even though his axle housing broke, he had been driving on it for about a 100 miles on the highway before finding it. In the case of Trail Bud who did not have a sleeve, his Jeep was left completely out of commission.
I've already got the sleeve, so I'll probably put it in. Was just looking for opinions regarding a truss, but after looking at Treks, that's a lot of work and welding. If after adding the sleeve, would a 5/8"X 3" flat iron welded along the top of the tube from differential past the upper control mount add strength to the axle? Seems like it would, but I'm no engineer.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:44 AM
JK Super Freak

I recently had EVO sleeves installed in my Dana 30 and thought then (and think now!) it was a wise investment of my time and money.

Particularly when coupled with a JKS front track bar brace (which is welded on and acts something like a truss across the top of the long side tube), I feel very confident about my front axle's longevity with 35s.

I too give Wayoflife credit for making a public correction on a previous stance he took on the sleeves.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Under Dawg
I recently had EVO sleeves installed in my Dana 30 and thought then (and think now!) it was a wise investment of my time and money.

Particularly when coupled with a JKS front track bar brace (which is welded on and acts something like a truss across the top of the long side tube), I feel very confident about my front axle's longevity with 35s.

I too give Wayoflife credit for making a public correction on a previous stance he took on the sleeves.

How difficult is it to put in the sleeves? I am quite a bit bummed as based on last weeks information, I opted to upgrade my D30 with gears and an ARB locker. I did have a custom gusset and truss added, but no sleeves. This sucks.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

A D30 is more than adequate for our applications, Torrin. If you were trying to run very large tires or had V8 power, well, that would be another story.

Don't forget, guys with Rubicons are no better off than we are relative to tube strength; the tubes on a Dana 44 front axle from a JK are EXACTLY the same size and diameter as our Dana 30 tubes.

It's a bit labor intensive to pull the wheels, brakes and axles to have the sleeves welded in place, but it is WELL worth the time and cost involved.

You could do all the prep work at home and have a mobile welding service come out to your house and plug weld the sleeves. Might cost you a hour labor.

Last edited by opdsgt; 07-20-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-20-2010, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just 3 weeks before I took the Rubicon with the JK-Forum group I added sleeves to my front. I was following right behiend Trail Bud the whole time and we took the hard lines. Blazer was just a few JK ahead of us. My installer didn't think the sleves were needed....boy was he wrong.

My JK isn't fat she's just thick boned...with the steel EVO fenders I must have one of the heavier JK's on the Run.

If there was an external truss I would add it as well...I think it must go all the way to the pumkin on both sides?? From what I saw on the trail, the problem is the metal is twisting apart so any gusset needs to stop the twist effect. I think the flat plate posted earlier would not stop twisting.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:57 PM
JK Junkie

I think I'm an idiot for leaving a set of sleevs under my bed while I wheel the crap out for my jeep on 37's.

I will be putting them in and getting externals too, for the price you cant beat the semi piece of mind. I agree with you holymoly

How much does a bare pro rock housing cost for us rubi guys who can swap everything in?
Old 07-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by john smack
How much does a bare pro rock housing cost for us rubi guys who can swap everything in?
$1,959

Remember that your housing still has some value if it isn't destroyed.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john smack
I think I'm an idiot for leaving a set of sleevs under my bed while I wheel the crap out for my jeep on 37's.

I will be putting them in and getting externals too, for the price you cant beat the semi piece of mind. I agree with you holymoly

John,
Stan had a pallet of them when I was down there in April. Call him.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:17 PM
JK Junkie

my job must suck compared to yours

Sleeves for me for awhile

Working for a welding shop helps keep all the cost down.

I havent had much cash for the Jeep right now as I have been focusing on a rare restoration I found in a field

Quick Reply: ATTENTION: Inspect Your Front Axle Housing!!