Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ATTENTION: Inspect Your Front Axle Housing!!

Old 07-18-2010, 07:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crasher
Well WOL, I went against your earlier advise that C-gussets were all I needed for my application and got the sleeves thinking I might not put them in. I guess after you update today, they'll go in with the gussets. Thanks for the heads up. I'm beginning to think my recent JK purchase wasn't such a great idea.
Your purchase was a good idea. I don't regret buying mine.
The fun it brings you. And the places it can take you. also the people you meet.
But you need to beware of the issues if you play hard.
The Rubicon trail is nothing but constant bouldering, steps, with constant hammering on the jeep.
if there's a weak point with you'll find it on that trail.
Take care.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man I just saw your facebook post and jumped onto the forum to get the scoop...can't believe Steve had a break as well...we might have been able to help him had we left a little earlier.

We definitely are doing the sleeves next time we're at Off Road Evolution! Cheap insurance
Old 07-18-2010, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like I'm getting a set of sleeves for my 44. Already sleeved my old 30 with the evo set and it was a breeze but that was off the vehicle. I'm not looking forward to doing this on the vehicle.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trail Bud
it was fresh steel torn apart. all silver.
I go over my jeep in detail alot because I go on runs alot.
This started on the trail, it wasn't there before.
Man, that's crazy. Have you spoken to Chrysler? If that's not a "safety issue" I don't know what is. I can't help but think they are going to fight it until someone dies from it and they are legally forced to do something. I mean, that is status quo for most car manufacturers.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badron5
If the Axle Housings (and other parts) are made out of Chinese steel then that could be a cause of failure. Its suspected that the Chinese dont hold up to our ASTM standards and there for might be weaker (I guess you get what you pay for)

Nothing beats American Made
It's cheap steel because Chrysler approved of that metal. Companies are aware of the type of raw materials used in produced products overseas. Chrysler quality assurance should be inspecting those parts and batch testing the materials if there's a difference, especially on critical parts. Chrysler just wants a cheaper part too to increase their margin.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKCliff
I run 35's on 4.88's and thought adding some sleeves, gussets, and a truss would be prudent. Then when I posted on this site I had some comment on it being too much... If my axles never breaks I will be ahead. If I do break them, I will at least have tried to improve the OEM at a reasonable cost.

I don't see myself as a hard core wheeler, but I do enjoy pushing my limits and trying to improve me skills. When I hit the lottery I'll buy some 60's and sell some poor schmuck my overbuilt 30/44 set... until then.........
Interesting truss. Is that something you bought or something you fabricated?

I am sure the internal sleeves are a great improvement over a stock axle. But when I inquired as to the strngth increase it was only on the order of 25% due to the reduced deameter and thickness of the sleeve (things that are fixed and can't be changed. A stout truss has to give much more strength.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:03 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What the hell - I just heard from blazer4949 and apparently, his axle did not break in the same location but rather, about 2" from the differential housing. According to him, he thinks that the housing "did not totally break apart because I had ORE axle sleeves" installed.

So, with or without sleeves, I would continue to check your front axle housings.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Built my own truss, if it breaks, ill just have to buy a prorock.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:39 PM
JK Super Freak

When i took my jk in for 3k oil change I asked them to align it, it just didnt seem to be straight. the dealer called me about 2 hours later and said that they could not get it completely aligned because my front axel housing was warped.... FACTORY DEFECT!!!! they put a new axel housing on under warranty but i wonder how many jeeps are running around with the same problem and if that could be what is causing this!!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 09:47 PM
JK Freak

My crack was all the way around, eighth of an inch at the top to quarter of an inch
at the bottom. Again, ORE sleeves probably prevented big gaping break.
Detailed information in Rubicon trip report.

Quick Reply: ATTENTION: Inspect Your Front Axle Housing!!