Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ATTENTION: Inspect Your Front Axle Housing!!

Old 07-18-2010, 04:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about the rockslide "external sleeve system" ? Anyone use or deal with this one yet ? just wondering how the exo compares to the internal .
Old 07-18-2010, 04:54 PM
JK Jedi

Wow...that is just scary. At this point I've been pretty gentle on my stock JKU. I dont mean to be over the top, but those pictures make me nervous as hell.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well WOL, I went against your earlier advise that C-gussets were all I needed for my application and got the sleeves thinking I might not put them in. I guess after you update today, they'll go in with the gussets. Thanks for the heads up. I'm beginning to think my recent JK purchase wasn't such a great idea.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default warranty?

is this covered under "warranty"?
Old 07-18-2010, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

Default I thought I was being paranoid....???

I run 35's on 4.88's and thought adding some sleeves, gussets, and a truss would be prudent. Then when I posted on this site I had some comment on it being too much... If my axles never breaks I will be ahead. If I do break them, I will at least have tried to improve the OEM at a reasonable cost.

I don't see myself as a hard core wheeler, but I do enjoy pushing my limits and trying to improve me skills. When I hit the lottery I'll buy some 60's and sell some poor schmuck my overbuilt 30/44 set... until then.........
Old 07-18-2010, 05:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've installed the Teraflex Axle sleeves and gussets recently....This is cheap insurance for the axle and be gives me some serious piece of mind...

You do the math $2999.99 to replace the axle or $139.99 JK Axle Sleeve and Gusset Kit....to me it was a no brainer..
Old 07-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Honestly, I simply have not seen any JK axle tubes bending - ONLY breaking. As mentioned, two people on our recent Rubicon run broke their axle housing. The first one happend to Trail Bud while driving down an easy section of trail near Rubicon Springs and I just found out about the other break happening to blazer4949 as he was on his way home on the 395. There were no impact marks on the tubes or any other signs of stress and it would seem that they might be caused by fatigue/metallurgy.
I was hoping when I seen this it was'nt doug again
Old 07-18-2010, 06:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by myklt8
all I can say is WOW!
I think sleeves are now in my future
I would too!
I'm done with the 44. I ordered a Dynatrac Pro rock 60, it will be cheaper in the long run.
Just so you know when it snapped in half I was on a pretty smooth stretch of the trail. kind of a fire trail with small rocks. As I turned a corner nothing happened and I just keep going straight.
we stopped and looked and then saw the break.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by owtcast
There is one way to tell for sure if it was was an instant catastrophic break or a break from a crack that traveled. If there is any corrosion, or dirt/oil contaminates along the cracked surface that suddenly stops, then the crack has been there "working" it's way across the metal.

It's hard to tell from the photos but, it looks pretty even across the whole crack like there wasn't any corrosion or crack previously. But it's hard to tell without seeing it in person with good lighting.
it was fresh steel torn apart. all silver.
I go over my jeep in detail alot because I go on runs alot.
This started on the trail, it wasn't there before.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension
I was hoping when I seen this it was'nt doug again
Hi Steve,
yes it was

Quick Reply: ATTENTION: Inspect Your Front Axle Housing!!