Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ATTENTION: Inspect Your Front Axle Housing!!

Old 10-08-2019, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
I would be looking for a replacement as soon as possible. was the break clean thru all the way around or just a small crack?
The break was about half way around, starting at the bottom. Other than some local desert exploring this winter, my next big trip isn't until my annual Death Valley trip in March. I hope to have something figured out by then.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm looking at this now, though I usually don't, and I'm noticing what looks like a plug weld towards the left of your picture. Was that done before or after the break? Any other plugs anywhere to keep the inner and outer sleeves together?
The following users liked this post:
bkg (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I'm looking at this now, though I usually don't, and I'm noticing what looks like a plug weld towards the left of your picture. Was that done before or after the break? Any other plugs anywhere to keep the inner and outer sleeves together?
The sleeve was also welded at the ends. See photo. The plug weld was from the sleeve install, years ago.

Driver's side sleeve weld.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:34 AM
bkg
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is there a plug weld between the repair and the diff housing?

If not, torsional stress explains the break... If the sleeve isn't welded all the way into (for lack of better term) the diff housing, there isn't really anything strengthening the housing torsionally.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I guess that explains why the manufacturers on those kits look for plug welds all down the length of the sleeve and on each side. It basically makes the two into one instead of an axle tube with a sleeve. The sleeve probably saved you from catastrophic failure when the crack started but wasn't quite enough to save the tube from the crack.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:05 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The sleeve probably saved you from catastrophic failure when the crack started but wasn't quite enough to save the tube from the crack.
That is what I was thinking. You always hear how sleeves really don't do a whole lot to strengthen the axle, but I do think in this case that is what kept things together and got him off the trail. What a downer. Hopefully that didn't put any damper on the overall trip!

Quick Reply: ATTENTION: Inspect Your Front Axle Housing!!