Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ATTENTION: Inspect Your Front Axle Housing!!

Old 08-07-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our front right axle housing just snapped too

We weren't driving on a tough trail, and all of a sudden we felt something "odd" in our steering and could hear odd rubbing happening under the jeep. Managed to get off the trail and up to the dirt FSR road (Harrison-West for those west coast BC jeepers out there, just past Hale Creek) and as we were turning onto the road, hubby noticed that the sterring was definately off, and I could hear bad bad rubbing noises...pulled over and yup, axle housing on the passenger front definately cracked, can see the lovely axle (not bent, phew)... couldn't even turn her around to point her down the hill to limp to the paved road.... Basically, she is now sitting in our driveway after a $687 tow (for approximately 25 km off road and then 99 km home) ouch...we have all the warranty coverage and stuff, so my long winded question.... Is this even worth while pursuing for warranty replacement? Yes, after reading all the posts, I can see that the stock is crap, but for now? The tow cost was painful, and I am going to see if we pursue the warranty for this, to get my cost of towing too....grrrrrrrrr.... We do take her off roading, cuz, well, she is a jeep! But, we don't do jumps, we are careful and cautious, we even just got back from Moab three weeks ago, in one piece without even scraping the skid plates once, lol!!! Advice? Yes, we are planning down the road to replace the axle with a more heavy duty and sleeves etc, but these are not things we were counting on doing within the first year!!!! Our baby is stock 2010 sahara unlimited 4 door, the only "mod" we have done to date is adding a snorkel kit. Advice on how to pursue Crapsler for warranty stuff would be appreciated I won't bother attaching a picture since it looks EXACTLY like the beginning threads posted pic.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

everybody thats had this happen should go on line and report this to the NTSB.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

I fully intend to do that, but what i need is advice from anyone who has pursued this thru their warranty...We have the extended warranty, and am just wondering what the stipulation of "extreme off roading" really means lol
Old 08-07-2011, 07:13 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Towing to the nearest dealership is covered for the first 3 years. Assuming you do get the axle warrantied, and assuming you have a cool dealership, you could ask about getting at least part of that bill reimbursed. They are likely to tell you to go pound sand, but doesn't hurt to try.

It also wouldn't hurt to point your service guy at any of the threads here showing the SAME break, in the SAME exact location.

Is this even worth while pursuing for warranty replacement?
If it is replaced under warranty, yep. Free is free. If you are footing the bill, why would you even consider another stock housing?

and am just wondering what the stipulation of "extreme off roading" really means lol
Doesn't have to be extreme. These things are shattering on stock rigs, hitting a curb onroad...
Old 08-08-2011, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

I am going to see if they will consider installing the prorock 44 for us instead of the stock 30, and we will just pay the difference on the cost of the two, since it will already be all disassembled and since they would (hopefully) be willing to put in the stock 30, lol... yup i know, not covered under the warranty if the prorock busts, but that is another can of worms for another day, thanks for the advise guys!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

Default update

Yay just heard from the dealership, they are replacing the entire axle, differential, gears, housing all under warranty happy dance... we will approach them on the towing bill next
Old 10-07-2019, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know this is an old thread, but a broken axle housing just happened to me a week ago while wheeling in Moab. I didn't even know it was broken until I got back to the motel. We were on Poison Spider trail. I called the local repair shop and they welded the housing, costing me $96. They said nothing was bent and it should be good-as-new. I had the axle sleeved and gusseted when it was new. 2011 JK Sport with mods.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:50 AM
bkg
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

where does the sleeve stop in that pick?

good as new... i'd personally question that. Looks like a rough but weld. Did they champfer the ends? I can't tell from the pick.

Probably already stated: I think the failures are torque related... axle housing just isn't big enough to withstand the stresses from battling engine torque and suspension mounts.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bkg
where does the sleeve stop in that pick?

good as new... i'd personally question that. Looks like a rough but weld. Did they champfer the ends? I can't tell from the pick.
Probably already stated: I think the failures are torque related... axle housing just isn't big enough to withstand the stresses from battling engine torque and suspension mounts.
I'm unsure, but I think the sleeves run all the way to the differential.

Yes, it's a rough weld, but it's a hard spot to get to. Yes, they chamfered the ends before welding. I'm hoping is strong, but will be keeping an eye on it. I'd like to stick a Dynatrax 44 under there, but don't have that kind of money.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I would be looking for a replacement as soon as possible. was the break clean thru all the way around or just a small crack?

Quick Reply: ATTENTION: Inspect Your Front Axle Housing!!