Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ATTENTION: Inspect Your Front Axle Housing!!

Old 10-24-2010, 08:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toddrussellcpa@hotmail.co
The front axle on my 08 JK just went out with 38,800 miles. I am running 33 x 13.5 x 18 and Chrysler denied the warranty because of the tire size.
your axle or the axle housing??

really anything besides stock, chrysler can do what they want. you have to remember they did go under so most liekly they will deny any claim that has an aftermarket part. yes we have the mos something act, but so many dealers and warranty companies are denying anything these days. penny pinching.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bummer

as always thanks for the input another thing to put on my weekly inspection checks.. you stated that all different wheel and axle combinations were experiencing the same type of cracks or breaks what about specific years do we have any years that seem to be having more problems than the others.....
Old 10-24-2010, 10:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElyasWolff
The welding should not do that much to the metal. Depending on what wire and process they used, the worst I can see happening is cracking near the weld. Shit this aint chromoly where you need to normalize the whole part in an oven. My guess would be too thin of steel, or the wrong alloy.
(rant) everything is recycled these days, and unless it is virgin steel you cant be sure it is the "true" alloy. I have see A36 that was tested, and had a small section of the larger plate that was very hard and had too much carbon it in!

I am thinking of welding on a brace and not putting in a sleeve. That way if your axle is bent you can weld it on and stop any further stress from the outside.
Key word is RECYCLED, those front ends are made from used TOYOTA parts.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:54 AM
JK Newbie

Unhappy

I know this is an old thread, but the problem persists.

I just bent my D30 front axle housing, this is the 3rd time it happens to me. The gears on the ring and pinion are broken too.

We do serious off-roading, climbing high dunes and practically flying to get to the next summit..

Time to sleeve I guess. I run 33" Mickey Thompsons M/T's with 4:56 ratio, 2.5" lift, and 9.5t Warn Winch installed inside the front Mopar Offroad bumper.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Al Kurby
I know this is an old thread, but the problem persists.

I just bent my D30 front axle housing, this is the 3rd time it happens to me. The gears on the ring and pinion are broken too.

We do serious off-roading, climbing high dunes and practically flying to get to the next summit..

Time to sleeve I guess. I run 33" Mickey Thompsons M/T's with 4:56 ratio, 2.5" lift, and 9.5t Warn Winch installed inside the front Mopar Offroad bumper.
you may want to look into a pro rock 44
Old 04-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sleeving isn't going to be enough. Where the tubes meet the housing will still bend. A better bet would be a truss. But, as was previously mentioned, a ProRock 44 would be even better as it will be stronger yet.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Joisey
you may want to look into a pro rock 44
Originally Posted by Dynatrac
Sleeving isn't going to be enough. Where the tubes meet the housing will still bend. A better bet would be a truss. But, as was previously mentioned, a ProRock 44 would be even better as it will be stronger yet.
Thank you Joisey, Dynatrac. I am definitely going for ProRock 44.

I plan to re-gear.....Richmond 4:88, replace the drive shafts with heavy duty and I guess I will be good...am I on the right track here
Old 06-28-2011, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Broke Front Axle Housing

I just broke my front axle housing. When it broke I was on a mountain trail, nothing extreem at all. I went over a bump and heard a big snap! I got out and looked and the trip came to a complete stop. Jeep is currently at jeep awaiting to see if warranty is going to cover it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	broke jeep.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	176539   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110617_200645.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	176540  
Old 06-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
EVO MFG Representative

Originally Posted by Lilahs Jeep
I just broke my front axle housing. When it broke I was on a mountain trail, nothing extreem at all. I went over a bump and heard a big snap! I got out and looked and the trip came to a complete stop. Jeep is currently at jeep awaiting to see if warranty is going to cover it.
Bummer. Hope everyone was ok...

JK looks fairly stock, Hopefully the dealer will take care of it for you.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

When you get a chance, could you clean up the break area a bit and snap some closer pics?

And good luck with the dealership! Hope they cover it, but if not, congrats on your shiny new PR44 or D60.

Quick Reply: ATTENTION: Inspect Your Front Axle Housing!!