Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ATTENTION: Inspect Your Front Axle Housing!!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What years are the 2 JKs affected? Could this be a production line problem that may have affected a few JKs?
Old 08-04-2010, 04:37 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by holy_crap
What years are the 2 JKs affected? Could this be a production line problem that may have affected a few JKs?
one is a 2007 and i believe the other is a 2008. having said that, my national park ranger friend who broke his housing running stock tires has a 2010. as i have stated many times before, these breaks are happening regardless of year and or tire size.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to wait to replace the axle. I'll buy a new one if and when it breaks.

For anyone that needs a welder to sleeve or re enforce their current axle, I have a new Miller welder (mig) and have been welding for many years. Y'all are welcome to come down with your parts and weld away or I can weld them for ya at no cost. Well maybe a few beers and a pizza.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I must agree with WOL. In 23 years of wheelin' I've only seen one anything like this and it was a broken butt weld.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

All I can say is I do not wheel very hard and i was one of the first. I had only been wheeling all of maybe 5 or 6 times before she gave way. I guess i'm just lucky.

Moral? You can break even if your not a hard wheeler!

Old 08-25-2010, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow......just wow. Great tip.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Gergy, it would appear from the condition of your stabilizer and from the fresh gouges on the underside of your long tube as well as the deformation of the lower control arm mount you either (a) came down hard off an obstacle or (b) you struck something at speed while traveling in a straight line.

Do you think the impact that's evident in the photo contributed to the break?

Or did it cause the break immediately?
Old 09-11-2010, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Dynatrac,

will the RCV Ultimate Dana 44 JK Rubicon Front Axle Set fit in your ProRock 44?

Thanks to all for the information in this thread!

Mikey
Old 09-13-2010, 07:10 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtMikey
Dynatrac,

will the RCV Ultimate Dana 44 JK Rubicon Front Axle Set fit in your ProRock 44?

Thanks to all for the information in this thread!

Mikey
The RCV axles will fit our ProRock 44 housing without issue. The only possible concern MIGHT be if you used RCVs and our ProSteer ball joints. That said, we've never had anyone with a PR44 houisng tell us they couldn't make them work. A couple of guys felt they needed to lightly surface the top of the lower ball joint to assure no contact but it was an easy mod. We HAVE had a couple of ProSteer ball joint issues and RCVs when the stock housing had bent end forgings.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:23 AM
JK Super Freak

I had to surface the top of my lower Pro Steers before I could get my RCVs to clear (and I gusseted my C's before my spanky new Jeep had seen any trail duty, so it's unlikely I had bent end forgings to begin with).

Based on what I've read elsewhere, Dynatrac's official answer to the RCV/PSBJ dilemma is to advise owners to install only the upper PSBJ. I really don't think that's a viable solution. You're still left with a weak, fail-prone OEM lower BJ.

Dyna, question
: will you warranty PSBJs that have been surfaced to accommodate RCVs as is the case with my Jeep?

I imagine you'll have to politely say "No." I further speculate it's a moot point because these ball joints are overbuilt and quite sturdy, but it would be nice to see your company stand behind your product in the event of a rare failure, especially considering they're being used in conjunction with such an outstanding aftermarket axle product like the RCV.

(That or make 'em work with the RCVs to begin with. )

Thanks,

Jeff from Omaha

Quick Reply: ATTENTION: Inspect Your Front Axle Housing!!