Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ATTENTION: Inspect Your Front Axle Housing!!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronner
An outer shell will usually be stronger. Think of how the axle tube will bend. An increase in strength at the outer side of the tube will have a greater lever to act against bending (both compression - inner part of bending arc - and tension - outer part of bending arc).
So stopping flex will certainly slow down the creation of fatigue cracks and would no doubt make the axel less susceptible to fracture.
Ron
You're a metallurgist or mechanical engineer I take it?

Guys, support JK-F sponsors and get a set of EVO sleeves. They're cheap and increase structural integrity of the axle by 30 percent. There are hundreds if not thousands of trail-used JKs with these sleeves and perhaps only one or two known examples of post-sleeve failure.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already have the evo sleeve. If there was a sponsored vendor of the clam product would get from them.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

While this could sound, and probably is, self serving, if you knew then what you know now, what would you do? If your good buddy just bought a virgin Rubi JK, how would you counsel him?

I tend to think like this on many different levels. It could be lift kits, tires, wheels or nearly anything. It is very common that we might have taken a different path if we had a long history of JK experience to guide us. The CJ, YJ and TJ guys have rigs that have been around long enough to almost have a recipe for success. The JK, due to its relatively short existence, is still a work in progress and the recipe is far less clear for many products.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:15 AM
JK Junkie

Default ATTENTION: Inspect Your Front Axle Housing!!

Originally Posted by bcrouse

are you fishing for a response like "i would tell them to upgrade their axles to ProRocks!!"
)
That is what I'm doing! If have any issues with my stock housing, I'm going aftermarket. I have gussets and don't feel spending the money on sleeves to get you off the trail when the housing fails is how id like to invest in the axle. I rather invest in a bullet proof housing.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
While this could sound, and probably is, self serving, if you knew then what you know now, what would you do? If your good buddy just bought a virgin Rubi JK, how would you counsel him?
Yes, it is self serving, ... but ...

I've never been a fan of all these band aid fixes to the stock axle housing. So I'll say it, buy a Pro Rock. If you're just starting out with a brand spanking new Rubi you can sell the stock axle housing to offset some of the cost of the Pro Rock. By the time you add in the price of internal sleeves, external sleeves, c-gussets, pro steer ball joints, and labor cost to install all of these on a stock housing, and subtract the sale price of your stock housing from the purchase price of a Pro Rock, you're pretty much even. The stock route you are welding, welding, welding, and hoping the shop gets it right, and doesn't warp things while they're at it. The Pro Rock route you know you've got a much better product when your done. Even if the Pro Rock route were $300 to $400 more than the stock route it would be worth it in the end. Of course, your results may vary, depending on what price you pay for the Pro Rock, and what price you can sell your Rubi axle for.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

While this could sound, and probably is, self serving, if you knew then what you know now, what would you do?
i'm going to steal this and start a thread. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I tend to think like this on many different levels. It could be lift kits, tires, wheels or nearly anything. It is very common that we might have taken a different path if we had a long history of JK experience to guide us. The CJ, YJ and TJ guys have rigs that have been around long enough to almost have a recipe for success. The JK, due to its relatively short existence, is still a work in progress and the recipe is far less clear for many products.
I would get the pro rock! I have experience with Dynatrac customer support and it is very very good...heck once they delivered parts to my house the day before Moab! The additional thickness is a no brainer...
Old 07-22-2010, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

So where can you order this pro rock Extreme? I can only find the standard for the Rubicon Elocker only version. Also I have the Dana 30 what else would i have to get .. Everything? I was planning on re-gearing anyway and doing ARB air lockers at the same time. Now I need to rethink everthing.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bcrouse
The internal sleeves, also, do not weld onto the center housing section thusly no increasing the resistance to twisting at the tube/center intersection.
I don't recall a single instance of a tube "unscrewing itself" from a housing.

Bottom line: the EVO sleeves are tried and true, are inexpensive @ about 150 bucks, and can be installed on the cheap if you do the tear down before having a mobile welding service come to your house.

And btw, the vast majority of people on this board including those who wheel their rigs pretty hard would be ill served with Dana 60s. There are a handful of guys here on the forum with enough tire and horsepower to warrant 1-ton drive trains. A handful.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brashanic
i'm going to steal this and start a thread. Thanks.
LOL....It's a good idea!!

This really wasn't a fishing expedition because I knew the answer. It would be rather ignorant to put all the time and effort into a stock housing when a reasonable option is easy to find. Like many here, I too have put money into axles that should have been retired.

Years back I put a ton into building, then rebuilding, a old Dana 30 when if someone had been able to guide me early, I would have just built a 44. Today, while many people do small lesser axle upgrades because of budget reasons, if the funds are there, bypassing ANY work to the stock housing would be the best option. Not having to pay for a gear set up twice is a real bonus.

Quick Reply: ATTENTION: Inspect Your Front Axle Housing!!