Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Atlas II ordered!!

Old 01-31-2014, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 Sport with a manual trans.

Here she is

As far as using a Rubicon case is concerned, I'm not sure how I'd be better off... I wanted a gear driven case that has 1350 input and output yokes and the Rubi case has neither of those things. The primary being gear driven. To each his own.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
I know of only two people that put an Atlas transfer case in a JK. They both had serious problems getting the electronics to work right. It was something about the JK computer not recognizing the new gear ratio, and either shutting things down, or going into limp mode. I think they both got it sorted out, but it was a major pain in the ass. So let us know how that goes, ok.
I spoke with an Atlas rep at the Pomona auto show back in,,,, October was it?,,, he said they had finally worked out all the bugs and it was pretty much plug and play. Of course,, he is supposed to say that,, but I will continue to be optimistic. He also said it was about $3800 installed,, sooo,, saving my pennies
Old 01-31-2014, 05:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big dr
I spoke with an Atlas rep at the Pomona auto show back in,,,, October was it?,,, he said they had finally worked out all the bugs and it was pretty much plug and play. Of course,, he is supposed to say that,, but I will continue to be optimistic. He also said it was about $3800 installed,, sooo,, saving my pennies
$3800? Atlas 4 I assume?! By way of first hand knowledge, if you can change a tire, you can swap a T-case. Although, the Atlas 4 is a little more involved.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

That sounds about right for an installed price. Of course that doesn't include the 2 new 1350 Tom Woods drive shafts I need as well. Its a pricey addition for sure but I don't have any buyer's remorse at all!!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

In for updates.
Is that a 4-speed?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:47 PM
JK Junkie

Hello

i just did an overhaul where I replaced almost everything after the transfer case, so I guess my weakest point is the transfer case...

what are the main benefits of swapping out the factory transfer case?

i regeard to 5.13 and my factory transfer case is geared at 2. Something, it was really hard to read the stamped number on the factory case...

matthew
Old 01-31-2014, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

Its a 2 speed 4.3. So far I'm told that the trickiest part of the install is getting the cable shifters in the stock location! There isn't a lot of room to play with.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:05 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Hello i just did an overhaul where I replaced almost everything after the transfer case, so I guess my weakest point is the transfer case... what are the main benefits of swapping out the factory transfer case? i regeard to 5.13 and my factory transfer case is geared at 2. Something, it was really hard to read the stamped number on the factory case... matthew
2.72 is what you have. Main benefit is a lower crawl ratio, which isn't a huge issue for you unless you play in the rocks. The stock transfer case is not weak and should not cause an issue. Gear driven cases such as the Atlas are best suited to setups with a front axle that has unlocking hubs.

I'm familiar with your build. Your ideal option is swapping in a Rubicon case. Direct swap, 4:1 crawl ratio, and you can pick one up for $500 plus your case in trade. The Rubi cases are rated for a ton of torque.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Hello

i just did an overhaul where I replaced almost everything after the transfer case, so I guess my weakest point is the transfer case...

what are the main benefits of swapping out the factory transfer. ase?

i regeard to 5.13 and my factory transfer case is geared at 2. Something, it was really hard to read the stamped number on the factory case...

matthew
I think stock 4 low is 2.72:1. One big benefit of swapping cases is picking your ratio with the Atlas. Also its crazy strong and gear driven as opposed to a chain drive. You could swap in a Rubicon t-case thats 4.0:1 and is cheaper.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:08 PM
JK Junkie

Hello i just did an overhaul where I replaced almost everything after the transfer case, so I guess my weakest point is the transfer case... what are the main benefits of swapping out the factory transfer case? i regeard to 5.13 and my factory transfer case is geared at 2. Something, it was really hard to read the stamped number on the factory case... matthew
I should add that Motech (place doing tons of LS swaps) uses the case out of the JK Sports. You can run an LS with 400hp and 37s and all will be well.

Quick Reply: Atlas II ordered!!