Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Atlas 2 vs Re-gear

Old 07-15-2013, 12:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
Atlas told me that the one glitch is that for some reason you can not recalibrate your speedo when doing this mod. They said they had a one of their company 2012 wranglers with 3.21 running this set up and it worked well except for the speedo issue
Was the speedo only off in the low settings?

I don't get how it would be messed up with the 1:1... if its fine in 1:1 I doubt many people care if the speedo is off while they are crawling in 5:1
Old 07-15-2013, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm happy with 35s for now but would like to swap my axles to D60s eventually.
Also I have a 2012 manual
Old 07-15-2013, 01:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by hypeiv
Was the speedo only off in the low settings?

I don't get how it would be messed up with the 1:1... if its fine in 1:1 I doubt many people care if the speedo is off while they are crawling in 5:1
Steve at Advanced adapters said using the atlas and 35" tires would not allow the speedo to be recalibrated I do not remember why but it was when normal driving. You could contact advanced adapters for more info.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve at Advanced adapters said using the atlas and 35" tires would not allow the speedo to be recalibrated I do not remember why but it was when normal driving. You could contact advanced adapters for more info.
I am not really in the market for a new transfer case so I wont be calling.. its just mechanically speaking, there is no reason it should throw off the speedo when it is in 1:1... It is essentially just passing the rotation out from the transmission to the rear driveshaft.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Speed is measured from the sensors at the axle ends not the TC. you can change gears and it does'nt make any differance. the only thing that affects it is tire size.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:56 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by hypeiv
I am not really in the market for a new transfer case so I wont be calling.. its just mechanically speaking, there is no reason it should throw off the speedo when it is in 1:1... It is essentially just passing the rotation out from the transmission to the rear driveshaft.
Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK
Speed is measured from the sensors at the axle ends not the TC. you can change gears and it does'nt make any differance. the only thing that affects it is tire size.
I am only passing on what Steve at advanced adapters told me. They make the atlas, they run the atlas on their 2012 wrangler and he told me that the one issue they had was when you use it you can not recalibrate the speedo. I doubt he would make it up as it is his business to sell Atlas'.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am only passing on what Steve at advanced adapters told me. They make the atlas, they run the atlas on their 2012 wrangler and he told me that the one issue they had was when you use it you can not recalibrate the speedo. I doubt he would make it up as it is his business to sell Atlas'.
Maybe he was talking about for low range?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Atlas told me that the one glitch is that for some reason you can not recalibrate your speedo when doing this mod. They said they had a one of their company 2012 wranglers with 3.21 running this set up and it worked well except for the speedo issue
The speedo can be addressed with a programmer. .
Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

I would think that with some math you could figure out the equivalent final drive ratio and then use the Procal to program the speedo.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:45 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
Maybe he was talking about for low range?
Originally Posted by mjbjw
The speedo can be addressed with a programmer. .
Originally Posted by maximredriver
I would think that with some math you could figure out the equivalent final drive ratio and then use the Procal to program the speedo.
It would seem so but Steve said for some reason you could not use the procal to fix the issue and it was regular driving that the speedo was screwed up. He said you just had to be aware the speed was going to be off and could not be recalibrated using a procal or similar device (I asked about the procal because I have one). He said other then that it worked very well with 35"tires.

Quick Reply: Atlas 2 vs Re-gear