Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Asap need help!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asap need help!!!!!!

I just finished my brake pads all around and 1 rear caliper. There is no pressire on the brakes now. The pedal goes right to the floor. We have bled the lines and no air is present. Is there a reset for brakes? Any ideas?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Anybody????? We are sitiing here trying to figure this out.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 08UnlimitedSahara810
I just finished my brake pads all around and 1 rear caliper. There is no pressire on the brakes now. The pedal goes right to the floor. We have bled the lines and no air is present. Is there a reset for brakes? Any ideas?
was there a lot of pressure when you bleed each caliper? did you start with the right rear? how were you bleeding them? when did you stop getting pressure on the pedal?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:10 PM
JK Newbie

Try turning the key on or letting it run while you bleed. I had a similar problem with a mustang. They have an electrical pump setup for the abs. Who knows, it might work for a jeep.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Sorry I can't offer any advice here. I did my back brakes and did not even bleed them. Everything felt fine after the new pads were on.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bleed starting from the caliper farthest from the ABS block (right rear to left rear to right front to left front). Ensure you DO NOT let the resevior run dry. Once all have been bled start the vehicle and depress the brake approx. 10 times. The repeat. You most likley got air in the ABS block and it will take some effort to get it out.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
He mentioned he did one rear caliper too...not just pads.

Yeah I just noticed that. Somehow skipped right over that word
Old 06-05-2009, 08:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Try gravity bleeding that caliper, take off the master cylinder cap and open the bleeder on the new caliper for about 3 to 5 minutes, keep a wathc on the brake fluid in the resevoir, dont let it get to low.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you put a new caliper on it's going to need quite a bit of fluid to fill it up. Were you refilling the master cylinder with fluid as you were bleeding? If not your master cylinder is now probably very low on fluid.

Assuming you are doing everything right, there is the possibility that you got air into the ABS / ESP system. The dealer's procedure is to use the starscan to sequence the pumps I believe.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gravity bleed the caliper. Back 20 years or so there were a couple of vehicles we had to bleed the master cylinders on by cracking the lines on the side of the cylinder, but this was pre-ABS days.....you are better off to clamp your flex line when replacing a caliper to prevent the fluid level in the upper system from dropping too low and creating a bleeding problem. Fill your master cylinder and if all else fails gravity bleed the whole system, closing each bleeder as fluid appears.

Quick Reply: Asap need help!!!!!!