Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Artec truss install

Old 10-08-2015, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Artec truss install

Just wondering if anyone had any tips for my truss and gusset install. I'll be stick welding it using my miller cst 280. The only mig welder I have is a 110v Flux core that's why I'm going to stick weld it. Just looking for tips on what amperage is best to use and etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As much heat as possible and burn it all in at once without stopping. Joking

Around 180 amps. It's 1/4" to 1/4". 1" stitch welds, moving around the axle so you don't build heat up. If you don't have a Jig for the axle, take your time. I spent 8 hours welding a truss on my D60. Burn a little in, wrap in a welding blanket and go back in 30 min. Too fast, and you will give the axle a smile.

Also, there is no need to weld every inch. The more you weld, the more risk you take in warping. Careful with the heat around the diff or you can ruin the seals. And if you weld to the diff, be sure to properly pre and post heat and not to over heat. Cast can crack with too much heat.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gitzen
Just wondering if anyone had any tips for my truss and gusset install. I'll be stick welding it using my miller cst 280. The only mig welder I have is a 110v Flux core that's why I'm going to stick weld it. Just looking for tips on what amperage is best to use and etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Like invest said take your time. Doesnt have to be fully welded. 7018 worked well to the cast for me 60XX sucked. I used 3/32 for the 10GA and 1/8 for the 1/4 PL.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input so far and I was planning on running 7018 vs 6010 which I use for a decent bit of stuff

Quick Reply: Artec truss install