Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Artec Armor Axle Kit

Old 09-25-2014, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Space Monkey
The Steering Stabilizer is a Fox 2.0, but i have Bilstein shocks. I had it done by a local jeep shop, which put the sleeves in first then welded the truss and C-gussets.

Truss - Artec
Sleeves - Synergy
C-Gussets - Artec
LCA Skids - Artec
Balljoints - Synergy
Axle Seals - Synergy

$1400 installed. Canadian.
I have ordered the artec truss kit, teraflex sleeves, synergy ball joints, and also a chromoly kit. I have been told that the chromoly kit (more expensive of course) should replace the sleeves and wont need welding. Correct?
Old 09-25-2014, 03:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SWFL
I have ordered the artec truss kit, teraflex sleeves, synergy ball joints, and also a chromoly kit. I have been told that the chromoly kit (more expensive of course) should replace the sleeves and wont need welding. Correct?
Chromoly kit? As in axle shafts? Has nothing to do with the tubes bending or breaking.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Chromoly kit? As in axle shafts? Has nothing to do with the tubes bending or breaking.
Ok so im more mind F@#!@ Wont the artic armor kit protect against a bent shaft????
so my best bet is to keep everything I ordered and have it installed by someone knowledgeable who can weld? artec armor kit, inner sleeves, gussets, chromoly axle kit, and ball joints to keep me more durable on the trails?
JEEP
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Last edited by SWFL; 09-25-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
That says enough to know you probably shouldn't be welding a truss on.

Assuming you're determined to do it - wet rag is the opposite if what you want to do. Weld short beads (maybe an inch or so) and then move to the other end of the axle. Keep moving around to the cold areas. Careful not to build too much heat in the housing. Lastly, use welding blankets to slow the cooling. You want it to cool nice and slow.

If you're not experienced in controlling heat, reasonable chance your axle will be smiling when you're done. Highly recommend building a jig for it to out reverse pressure on the tubes.

Be sure to switch wire or stick when you get to the cast. Preheat, but don't over heat.
This is why I ask . I have been reading all I can on this. Cant seem to find a shop that I trust to do it ... so I will have to do it my self. I weld stuff all the time but never my axel . I have a Lincoln Electric 3200. Is this good enough? I sleeved my tubes all ready do U think that will help with warping? Do u tig the tubes & mig the cast or can I mig the whole thing? When U say " preheat, but don't over heat" is that just the cast or all the welds on the tubes to? How hot is to hot when preheating ? Warm to the touch? Hot to the touch ? It will burn U if u touch it ? I am not going to do any thing till I am sure of what I am doing. Thanks for your help. I am sure I will have more questions.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SWFL
Ok so im more mind F@#!@ Wont the artic armor kit protect against a bent shaft???? so my best bet is to keep everything I ordered and have it installed by someone knowledgeable who can weld? artec armor kit, inner sleeves, gussets, chromoly axle kit, and ball joints to keep me more durable on the trails? JEEP Just Empty Every Pocket
The truss will keep the outer tubes on the axle housing from bending. The inner axles aren't connected to the housing so upgrading them to chromoly shafts is the best way to strengthen them.

Your list of parts will definitely provide additional durability. I personally think sleeves aren't needed in addition to the truss so I didn't install any. The armor kit comes with the truss, gussets, control arm skids, shock link brackets, and tracbar relocation bracket so there is a lot of welding but it's worth it. If you can find a good welder that has installed an Artec system it would be best.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jfbullseye
This is why I ask . I have been reading all I can on this. Cant seem to find a shop that I trust to do it ... so I will have to do it my self. I weld stuff all the time but never my axel . I have a Lincoln Electric 3200. Is this good enough? I sleeved my tubes all ready do U think that will help with warping? Do u tig the tubes & mig the cast or can I mig the whole thing? When U say " preheat, but don't over heat" is that just the cast or all the welds on the tubes to? How hot is to hot when preheating ? Warm to the touch? Hot to the touch ? It will burn U if u touch it ? I am not going to do any thing till I am sure of what I am doing. Thanks for your help. I am sure I will have more questions.
First off, I am a believer that if you can break or bend a sleeved housing, you need to upgrade to a big boy axle. However, I'll assume that is not on your list of options.

The sleeves may help a little in terms of axle warp, but they'll still bend.

You can MIG or TIG the tubes. Same with the cast. I forgot that the stock axle center section is cast steel. You can use regular wire ER70S-6. General recommendation is to pre-heat the cast to 400 degrees. You can buy or rent a temp gun if you don't have one. If you over heat, you can crack the cast.

Your welder does not bring the heat. You'll definitely need to preheat the cast to get any penetration. Then be sure to use a welding blanket and cool it slow and hope the welds don't pop off. You'd be better off to use Flux-core if you are using a 110v welder. You'll get way better penetration and more heat. Solid wire has more resistance and therefore less power.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info . Your the best. Will let you know how it turned out.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Junkie

Artec truss for the win

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 09-26-2014, 10:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Artec truss for the win
[IMG]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/26/24900b0c631a1b8da888923e1f81fc1b.jpg[/IMG

I just need to get the same stabilizer. On your drag link on the adjuster side, how much do you have it extended?

Last edited by TRAUMAhead; 09-26-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:47 AM
JK Junkie

I'll check when I get home from work

Quick Reply: Artec Armor Axle Kit