Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Armor recommendations. Brag up your gear and share your expertise

Old 10-23-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock skids are adequate and will take a ton of abuse, no need to spend the extra money unless you are doing to pickup a bit of clearance.
This is what I would install and the order...
  1. Oil Pan Skid
  2. Frame Mounted Rails
  3. Evap Skid
  4. Rear Bumper
  5. Front Bumper

Get good frame mounted rails, Poison Spyder, EVO, and Shrock Works are a few that are frame mounted. I have the Poison Spyder Brawler Bars and have beat on them pretty good this year, they have saved me from body damage.
I have the Evo oil pan skid. After running a "bumpy" trail I noticed I had banged my oil pan a few times, I got lucky that time and purchased the Evo Skid.
I also I have the Poison Spyder Evap Skid. I have used it a few times, so it has done its job and is needed unless you relocate it.
A rear bumper has better / more attach points for recovery than stock and could help prevent body damage. I got mine after I backed into something and busted the 1/4 panel tail light, and bumper.
Front bumper increases clearance and approach angle and provides a good way to mount a winch. I have banged my bumper trying to make it over some obstacles, if it were stock it would have been destroyed.

In the end it depends on how hard you are wheeling. I took it easy till my jeep was more built, now I am doing harder trails I find the lack of sway bar disconnect, lockers, and height are my challenges now.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice guys! The evidence stuff is sweet looking and rock hard just looks solid as hell. Also the poison spyder rails are so cool! Great options!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:03 PM
JK Junkie

Really stupid question, I'm just about ready to get a pair of the Ace Hardware rock rails...

What is the functional difference between the weld on and bolt on?

Is there a huge strength benefit to welding them on vs big bolts?

Matthew
Old 10-24-2012, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ace mount to the body mounts...so they aren't the same as say a shrock. I have evo weld ons....probably one if the.best if not the best. Weld on is stronger than frame bolted like shrock, but I doubt anybody would be able to rip out the bolts on a shrock anyway so you will be fine

Aces are better than body mouyed but I wouldn't use them....those body mounts are designed to take the weight of the tub not the entire truck, even though some people beat them up I just would rather have overkill. Body mounted.....Meh unless they are the boat sided ones...watch nemesis vid on youtube and you wont doubt them, just more of a pain ti miunt
Old 10-24-2012, 09:48 PM
JK Freak

In my experience, no one is as happy with any product as they are with a product they help design. Take some time and come up with your own ideas on what you want. Then contact a good fabricator and come to a consensus with him and pay him for a "one off" skid plate/slider system. He will probably be cheaper, and you will be that much more happy with a custom product.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:57 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the same lift, RK 2.5" MT.

Armor I have: Evo Protek 3 piece, front LCA skids, Sleeve and gusset front D44, Riddler front diff cover, PSC rear diff cover, Ace sliders, Rubi rails, Synergy tie rod (bent the stock one pretty bad).

Not armor, but have the Bilstein steering stabilizer after breaking the OEM. Relocate it before you smash it!

New front bumper is on the short list, plan on getting the PSC Brawler Lite.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	382132   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	382134   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	382135   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	382136   Click image for larger version

Name:	1024 1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	382137  

Last edited by suicideking; 10-24-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by JK-Joey
Im curious also, does anyone recommend paying the extra coin f0r the river raiders system over the evo skids? Or is evo good enough coverage?
EVO Protects the parts that need protected. The factory did a good job on the transfercase skid and the gas tank skid. Dont waste your money on them. They will take any abuse you throw at them.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:12 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chris@offroadevolution
EVO Protects the parts that need protected. The factory did a good job on the transfercase skid and the gas tank skid. Dont waste your money on them. They will take any abuse you throw at them.
couldn't agree with this statement more. after 5 years of wheeling our 2007 JK, the only aftermarket skid we have is one for our oil pan and it's made by these guys. yeah, the factory skids are beat but, they're still doing it's job just fine. if you guys have any doubts as to the kind of malls we crawl, just check out some of our videos.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

Cool

Rockhard rock sliders are my vote Underneath I still have stock skids plates, beat but still working

Quick Reply: Armor recommendations. Brag up your gear and share your expertise