Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Armor recommendations. Brag up your gear and share your expertise

Old 10-22-2012, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Armor recommendations. Brag up your gear and share your expertise

I am about to start my build. I have decided on a Rock Krawler 2.5 inch Max Travel lift. Since I am keeping it low I will need solid armor. I am driving an '08 2 door X and I love hitting the Colorado front range and continental divide trails. Plenty o rocks so I need armor that can take a hit and keeps me driving home with my oil pan and gas tank intact. Can you help me decide on armor? Make a recomendation or two? What do you love? Pics always welcome.
Thanks all!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the oil pan/transmission I went with off-road evolution Protek skid system, its such an awesome set up. Pretty easy to install and it holds up really well against the rocks. For the gas tank skid I'm still running the factory one it actually holds up pretty darn well to
Old 10-22-2012, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are multiple threads on JK armor so try a search and you'll find lots of info.

Here's my 2c, good rock rails. Good steel front bumper, I prefer a stinger. I prefer the rear bumper delete. Front diff cover is nice. As far as under armor, run the stock system and save all that extra weight. Maybe add a oil pan skid, Evo makes a great one. And relocate the evap canister. When the factory skids get really beat up, you can just pound them out with a BFG and reinstall.

Most people that I've wheeled with do the above, but there is also a vocal group that runs completely skided up. I personally haven't found the need.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:08 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

I'm in a similar boat running the OME 2" HD lift (with a spacer for 3"). Being a fan of the Hammer trails I have been taking on a lot of rock. Diff covers are important as the stock ones are easily dented. You'll want a really solid stubby front bumper with tow points and I love my M.O.R.E. stubby with bull bar. Full width bumpers get tangled in the rocks and block your wheels preventing motion. Rocker panel protection is extremely important, but I can't help you there as the rocker guards I have used have all failed me and caused tub damage. I run a full skid system under my JK, but the 2011s have less armor than prior years.

Consider upgrading your tie rod too. I know it's not armor, but it's one of the first things to get hit when making a mistake in the rocks. Also, relocate the steering stabilizer, it will get hit and die if you plan to do the rocks.

Below is a pic taken this last weekend at the parts shrine on Sledgehammer out at the Hammers. As you can see there are more items to armor up. The JK in the background has EVO skins, fenders, sliders, corners, and tire carrier and he still took damage where not armored (the A pilar).

Old 10-22-2012, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121013_171849.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	381247Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121013_132120.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	381245 nice pics of the parts pile up at sledge,thankfully none of mine are in it...here are a couple pics of mine running sledgehammer and jackhammer with my armor hard at work...i run evo weld on sliders and custom aluminum bumpers front and rear to save weight...mine was a 2 wheel drive i converted so the only stock skid i am running is the fuel tank skid...the rest are rockhard and have done there job well but i have to admit i like evos protech system most of all...
Old 10-22-2012, 04:48 PM
JK Junkie

I also have the evo protek system and I'm very happy with it

Matthew
Old 10-22-2012, 05:11 PM
JK Freak

My Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper + stinger has held up to a fairly good hit straight into the ground when I slid down a muddy trench and my bumper hit the other side of the trench head on. I also have a Poison Spyder evap canister skid that has defiantly saved my evap canister a time or two. The install for it was incredibly easy as well and fits (snugly) with my Dynomax rockcrawler bumper.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Rugged Ridge front crash bar skid, Rancho's oil pan armor, and Poison Spyder's evap can skid. Lots of options for evap can skids out there, but the PS actually raises the can a very noticeable 3/4".
Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Don't want to hijack but I have been looking at the Clayton skids. Anyone have any experience with them?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im curious also, does anyone recommend paying the extra coin f0r the river raiders system over the evo skids? Or is evo good enough coverage?

Quick Reply: Armor recommendations. Brag up your gear and share your expertise