Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB vs Yukon zip lockers

Old 04-29-2013, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARB vs Yukon zip lockers

I searched to see what people were talking about for the arb lockers and found lots. Didnt find a lot of threads about the Yukon zip lockers...and couldn't find a comparison.

Before someone posts the YouTube video that ARB made of the zip locker vs arb locker where the zip breaks...that video was1) made by arb so the credibility is questionable for me. 2) made from a prototype zip locker and rumor is the production of the locker from Yukon now is quite different than explained in that video

I have heard great things about ARB of course. But I do know they are quite expensive. Also haven't heard much about their warranty

I have heard pretty good things about zip lockers, and they are a lot cheaper. I have heard rumors that they cover up to $2000 in any repairs if something breaks and that they have a 2 year warranty.

So I'm looking for any experience and opinions concerning the two air lockers as I am trying to make a decision on what to buy.

Right now I have 4.88 Yukon gears in a stock d30 and 44 on my 09 jku with 35s.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was in the market, I would go zip. Everything has potential to fail, even ARB. The warranty coverage on the zip is unmatched. The performance is supposed to be great as well. No first hand, but that is where I would be looking.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Do you already have air?

ARB is running the free compressor deal again. Free small compressor (lockers only) with 1 locker, free medium compressor (lockers and tires) with 2 lockers. Assuming you don't currently have an air source, that should even out the price difference, and you end up with known, reliable quality, instead of an outdated design and unproven quality.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Do you already have air?

ARB is running the free compressor deal again. Free small compressor (lockers only) with 1 locker, free medium compressor (lockers and tires) with 2 lockers. Assuming you don't currently have an air source, that should even out the price difference, and you end up with known, reliable quality, instead of an outdated design and unproven quality.
This sounds tempting but I wouldn't be purchasing until later this summer. Anyone have experience using that small compressor to air up too?
Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepwave
I searched to see what people were talking about for the arb lockers and found lots. Didnt find a lot of threads about the Yukon zip lockers...and couldn't find a comparison.

Before someone posts the YouTube video that ARB made of the zip locker vs arb locker where the zip breaks...that video was1) made by arb so the credibility is questionable for me. 2) made from a prototype zip locker and rumor is the production of the locker from Yukon now is quite different than explained in that video

I have heard great things about ARB of course. But I do know they are quite expensive. Also haven't heard much about their warranty

I have heard pretty good things about zip lockers, and they are a lot cheaper. I have heard rumors that they cover up to $2000 in any repairs if something breaks and that they have a 2 year warranty.

So I'm looking for any experience and opinions concerning the two air lockers as I am trying to make a decision on what to buy.

That video was bullshit, Ive seen another video of a zip locker breaking 5 shafts on a row without damaging the locker.
I have Zips front and back and i love them...my 2 cents
Old 04-29-2013, 01:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like nthinuf said, if you don't have on-board air supply, ARB would be great.
Haven't had ARB lockers (I have the Jeep lockers, it's a Rubi), but I've seen them on quite a few friends' Jeeps. These lockers are tough.
If you decide on ARB, I'd suggest adding some more, and getting the twin head ARB compressor.
It inflates much faster, and can operate pneumatic tools such as an impact wrench.

They're also more work -- with the air pipe (pipes - if you also get the front).
A thermal & abrasion protective sleeve over the air pipe is a good idea.

Last edited by GJeep; 04-29-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This sounds tempting but I wouldn't be purchasing until later this summer. Anyone have experience using that small compressor to air up too?
The ARB inflates slowly. The twin head ARB is another story. A twin head compressor is always much faster.

Last edited by GJeep; 04-30-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:05 PM
JK Freak

I was told on here to look at the Youtube vid also. I recently put Yukon Zips on my 2011 with Yukon 4.88's. Cheaper yes, did I trust the video, NO....Am I happy with Zips?.....YES. I did look at the ARB's, but I wasn't paying that much for that. I got a GREAT warranty and very pleased. I have locked them a cpl times since I installed them, and love it. Haven't made a trip to rock country, so I can't give ya much there, but I am happy with my Yukons!....And I do have an ARB compressor....
Old 04-30-2013, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

All of your replies are really helpful. Sounds like I WOnt be disappointed no matter what locker I chose between the two BUt..one might hurt my wallet a bit more!
Old 04-30-2013, 09:23 PM
JK Super Freak

I added an ARB rear + Viair OBA a few months ago. I've been very happy with it. Very positive lock and unlock.

I have a Sport with a Rubi D44 front (oem locker). Works well, but doesn't always unlock right away like the ARB.

Quick Reply: ARB vs Yukon zip lockers