Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which Bumper Would You Use?
ARB Delux
50.82%
Expedition One
39.34%
Other Full Width - Please Specify
9.84%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

ARB vs Expedition One Front Bumper

Old 07-20-2009, 11:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Decision made. ARB wins. Ordered from Dave this morning. This should complete Stage One of Black Sunshine and hold me over for the summer.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chumpmann
Isnt the Ex1 a thicker metal?
I thought I read somewhere that the ARB is a stamped metal that is 1/8". which would mean it isnt as thick and stout as others. I know it may seem stout when you kick it, but will that hold up the the weight of the Jeep on a rock?

Ex1 is a nice stout 3/16" thick. I have slammed my rear bumper a few times and the rock came out with all the damage, nothing on the bumper.

That was one of the reasons I went with EX1.
Originally Posted by oO_Rogue_Oo
Well it looks like you’ve already made up your mind to go with the ARB but since you asked I’m going to add my opinion anyway.
I think the Expedition One bumper (with their skid plate) is a stronger bumper; gives better ground clearance and adds strength to the front of the frame as well by replacing the flimsy front cross member with a much stronger piece.
As far as looks go the ARB looks like it was developed for another model and adapted to the JK as an afterthought; why else would those ugly rectangular signal light be there?
Overall, if someone had to give me a good solid tug from the front to get me unstuck I’d feel better about the E1. Just my 2 cents; like I said it looks like you’ve made up your mind already anyway. Enjoy you ARB; I’ll be asking you about it when you get it to see how it compares to the E1 rear.

This was my reasoning, Thicker stronger metal means a stronger bumper.
I am very pleased with both of my bumpers from EX1. No problems at all and have performed great Off road.
Clearance is a good thing also, EX1 can clear 37's with 4" lift.
I was happy to pay for a bumper that has the requirements I wanted.
DOnt know where you can hook up to the ARB to pull/get pulled out of a sticky situation.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chumpmann
This was my reasoning, Thicker stronger metal means a stronger bumper.
I am very pleased with both of my bumpers from EX1. No problems at all and have performed great Off road.
Clearance is a good thing also, EX1 can clear 37's with 4" lift.
I was happy to pay for a bumper that has the requirements I wanted.
DOnt know where you can hook up to the ARB to pull/get pulled out of a sticky situation.
It has shackles at the bottom of the bumper. I have no idea what the thickness of the bumper is as it's not a posted spec on any site I've seen. After reading everything I have about E1's quality going down hill since the Gen2 rear bumper I didn't feel comfortable doing business with them again.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

Just installed my new Expedition One trail series front with Rubicon skid plate last night. The quality is excellent and it looks great! They have changed their packaging material to the blown in molded foam for great protection during shipping.

I don't think it's fair to make everyone think they have any more quality issues than anyone else based on two or three people's experience. Typically, when someone has no issues with a product they don't get on a forum to say so.

If you have a problem you either post because you are mad at your bad luck or are searching for answers to remedy the situation. I've had a great experience with the company and have been accommodated and hope others will give them a chance and should see that their bumpers are worthy to go on tanks!

Last edited by Dr_Audio; 09-05-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

I just ordered the front/rear front bumpers from Exp one. I say I've done tons of research and I like the way they have built what they have more than others. So I'd say get the front to match the rear. Cause it will look the best
Old 09-11-2009, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just ordered the ARB front bumper from Dave at Northridge 4x4 and got the second-to-last one: thanks Dave!
I did a LOT of research before deciding on the ARB. While there are many good looking and strong bumpers available for the JK, the ARB took the prize for me. Reasons? (1) it is full length and engineered to be air bag compatible, which is important to me for the 85% on road driving I do with idiots on the road; (2) it is engineered for the stresses of winching and recovery (see their website for information about their design, engineering, testing, etc); (3) it is strong: one solid piece of metal bent five times, with internal support brackets for the wings; (4) it is light, comparatively, at 89 lbs; (5) it has cutouts for the factory fog lights; (6) it has two shackle mounts below the front of the bumper; (7) it has two highlift jack slots, which no other bumper I considered, (LOD, OR-FAB, Expedition 1, Schrockworks, AEV, or Smittybuilt), have; (8) it has light tabs that can be added or removed; and (9) stylistically it best compliments the lines of the JK and therefore is the best looking: IMHO.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:12 AM
JK Super Freak

I just bought a Hi-Lift jack over the weekend. Now I'm trying to figure out how it mounts to the front hoop. I've seen numerous pictures of it on this and other sites and figured it was just a parts kit from ARB but can find no mention on thier site.

Any ideas?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just bought some bolts, washers, and nuts at home depot to attach it. Make sure to get some rubber washer to isolate it and prevent scratching the paint.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:59 PM
JK Newbie

Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper in Textured Black Powder Coat Finish for 07-09 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK
A stylish, high clearance winch bumper with integrated D-Ring mounts and lights. Design is focused on it's strength and rock-clearing abilities... more
$1529.99

Quick Reply: ARB vs Expedition One Front Bumper