Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB?!? Q's for Northridge and/or others

Old 02-27-2007, 05:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ARB?!? Q's for Northridge and/or others

Just read this on Northridge4x4's site. I think they are a sponsoring vendor here, so maybe they can elaborate.

"The ARB RD-117 Air Locker will fit a Jeep JK Wrangler X and Sahara rear Dana44/30 Spline and the RD-100 will fit the front Dana 30, both with minor modifications needed."

I did a quick search and the rd-117 is for 3.73 and down applications. I wonder if this is the only one that'll work, or it'll work w/ all JK gears, or what. I didn't search about the rd100. I plan on keeping the front "open".

And I wonder what "minor modifications" are needed? Professional machine work, a redneck w/ a grinder, or what??

Last edited by 2K1TJ; 02-27-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K1TJ
, a redneck w/ a grinder, or what??
nice e

Yeah ARB where are all the products?
Old 02-27-2007, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Now don't quote me on this as i have no experience with either of these lockers and i'm not an expert, but what i do know is this. The carriers on the TJ's dana 30/35/44 were a different size depending on the gear ratio you had. on the TJ, the carriers were for 3.73 and up numberically, which is down in ration as it is really 3.73/1 or 4.10/1 etc etc. the other carrier size was for a taller than 3.73 ratio. So it would be my guess that it has something to do with carrier size/gear ratio specifications that makes it specific to that. while the new axles on the JK are supposed to be considerably different than that of the TJ, the differentials themselves are still however dana 44s dana 30s and dana 35s. so its my guess thats the reason. I hope this helps and if someone who knows this info for sure would like to correct anything i stated wrong, feel free. Good luck. and as for the modifications, being that you said its an air locker, you usually have to drill a hole and mount a fitting in the top of the differential to activate the lockers, so thats what my guess would be for the modifications. No need for a machine shop there, just a little patience and careful measuring.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by yellowjeeper85
Now don't quote me on this as i have no experience with either of these lockers and i'm not an expert, but what i do know is this. The carriers on the TJ's dana 30/35/44 were a different size depending on the gear ratio you had. on the TJ, the carriers were for 3.73 and up numberically, which is down in ration as it is really 3.73/1 or 4.10/1 etc etc. the other carrier size was for a taller than 3.73 ratio. So it would be my guess that it has something to do with carrier size/gear ratio specifications that makes it specific to that. while the new axles on the JK are supposed to be considerably different than that of the TJ, the differentials themselves are still however dana 44s dana 30s and dana 35s. so its my guess thats the reason. I hope this helps and if someone who knows this info for sure would like to correct anything i stated wrong, feel free. Good luck. and as for the modifications, being that you said its an air locker, you usually have to drill a hole and mount a fitting in the top of the differential to activate the lockers, so thats what my guess would be for the modifications. No need for a machine shop there, just a little patience and careful measuring.

Thanks, I'm aware of all this. The part #'s I spoke of are for existing ARB's that fit earlier axles. I was just skeptical that they'd work for our application, after all we've read that says these new axles are so different. That's why I was wondering what "minor modifucations" may be necessary to work on these next generation dana axles. I also need to verify that one locker works w/ all gears. As you mentioned, all other axles that I've heard of have different ones, depending on gear ratio.

Edit: I just PM'd Northridge, maybe they'll clear up some of this for us.

Last edited by 2K1TJ; 02-28-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I spoke with Arb about the JK and the did tell me that the rd117 will work on the Non-Rubi 44's and the rd 100 on the front 30's.

Those are both exisiting part numbers and a ARB for the Rubi 44's wont be happening for a while.

Thanks
David
Old 02-28-2007, 09:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
I spoke with Arb about the JK and the did tell me that the rd117 will work on the Non-Rubi 44's and the rd 100 on the front 30's.

Those are both exisiting part numbers and a ARB for the Rubi 44's wont be happening for a while.

Thanks
David
That was fast! Thanks.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for asking the question and the quick reply. I think you just cost me a grand! Atleast we know something already fits!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by jeepn0811
Thanks for asking the question and the quick reply. I think you just cost me a grand! Atleast we know something already fits!
atleast spend that grand at northridge since he helped out.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm still not clear on what mods are necessary to install this. Do they mean the ordinary stuff that's needed to install in any D44 (i.e. mod for air line), or mods specific to the JK D44's??

I'm just trying to do all my homework beforehand. The JK is my only driver right now, so I can't have it on jackstands for weeks waiting for the right parts. I'm sure you guys can relate.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2K1TJ
I'm still not clear on what mods are necessary to install this. Do they mean the ordinary stuff that's needed to install in any D44 (i.e. mod for air line), or mods specific to the JK D44's??

I'm just trying to do all my homework beforehand. The JK is my only driver right now, so I can't have it on jackstands for weeks waiting for the right parts. I'm sure you guys can relate.
I want to know this as well as I will have it done this weekend if it will work and the mods aren't extensive.

Answers, anyone!

Quick Reply: ARB?!? Q's for Northridge and/or others