Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB or OX

Old 02-22-2011, 07:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I debated on the cable locker/air locker and e-locker then purchased. I have the OX locker up front and I love it. If you set it up right while installing there are no issues. I have a ARB on board air compressor and was going to get the air locker but after much thought about cutting or melting a air line and having to driving home locked while tearing stuff up, not to mention if metal shavings get into the o-ring on the air lockers and happens to cut it or damage it (causing a leak)in anyway I would have to carry a rebuild kit and try to fix it. But to each their own. there are pro's and con's to both and my opinion is on what works best for me and the way i spend my money.

Last edited by PainKiller; 02-22-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PainKiller
but after much thought about cutting or melting a air line and having to driving home locked while tearing stuff up, not to mention if metal shavings get into the o-ring on the air lockers and happens to cut it or damage it (causing a leak)in anyway I would have to carry a rebuild kit and try to fix it. But to each their own.
and that's why I upgraded to the braided stainless steel air lines.
what metal shavings are you talking about, the only time that could happen is if metal brakes inside the diff, which u will be screwed anyways, or if you are doing work on the diff or if there are issues with your r&p grinding shavings

whats the big deal about carrying a rebuild kit, i hear a lot of people use that excuse s#@^ happens on the trail and you fix it or don't use the locker. not saying you, but man people are afraid to get dirty. Yes I do carry a kit for the braided lines too.

btw, for future reference about having to drive home locked, that is incorrect.

the ARB requires air pressure to stay locked, when the air pressure is released, the locker unlocks. so if you melt or brake an air line, then the air pressure is released thus disengaging the locker. and you drive home just fine

you are right though, to each their own, but glad the ox has worked out for you
Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
you only need to buy a $130 compressor for the ARB to work it comes with all the connections.

I am not a fan of OX .

David
$130? I'll sell you my extra ARB mini compressor for $50!

Get the ARB. think about this. Some guts of the ox are part of the diff cover. If you smash it, that ox just got a whole lot more expensive!

I've run ARB's in my last three jeeps. All worked great and my JK now has one in my rear 60. Always works when I need it and tough as nails!

The cable on the ox can come lose when wheeling making it difficult to engage. The airline on the ARB can leak or come lose if not properly installed.

Good luck with your decision. I'm an ARB guy all the way.

Quick Reply: ARB or OX