Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB or OX

Old 02-22-2011, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARB or OX

I am currently building up my front axle and cant decide whether a ox or arb. With the arb I have to buy the tank and connections. On board air sounds nice, but dont really need it. Had OX in an old CJ and worked great. Need input. Cost effective does matter as well.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you only need to buy a $130 compressor for the ARB to work it comes with all the connections.

I am not a fan of OX .

David
Old 02-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ THAT WENT JK
I am currently building up my front axle and cant decide whether a ox or arb. With the arb I have to buy the tank and connections. On board air sounds nice, but dont really need it. Had OX in an old CJ and worked great. Need input. Cost effective does matter as well.
I would consider the Eaton ELocker (not to be confused with the Auburn Ected). It's a great product and feedback has been fantastic. If your choice is simply between ARB and OX, go ARB. You can consider the ARB an air source but it's not great as an on-board air system. Even the 'new' compressor is slow compared to other purpose-built systems.

I like the concept and strength of OX but it's slower to engage (or disengage) than the other options. None of the guys I run with still have OX. Those that once had them have all since changed to other selectables.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

ARB

As Dave said, you can run it from their small compressor. And depending on where you install it, you will also need a mounting bracket.

Or, you can get the larger arb compressor that will also inflate your tires. Northridge sells a full kit with compressor/inflation kit/bracket for a great price.

If you choose a Non-ARB compressor, that is when you will need to add an air tank and the kit to plug it in to the locker. (this may be the cheaper course, if you already have a decent compressor)
Old 02-22-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
I would consider the Eaton ELocker (not to be confused with the Auburn Ected). It's a great product and feedback has been fantastic. If your choice is simply between ARB and OX, go ARB. You can consider the ARB an air source but it's not great as an on-board air system. Even the 'new' compressor is slow compared to other purpose-built systems.

I like the concept and strength of OX but it's slower to engage (or disengage) than the other options. None of the guys I run with still have OX. Those that once had them have all since changed to other selectables.
Is the Eaton relatively close to the detroit easy locker. I have had bad experiences with the easy locker.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:46 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Is the Eaton relatively close to the detroit easy locker. I have had bad experiences with the easy locker.
It is a selectable that is as strong as an ARB, but it is electric activation instead of air. Note that the recommendation is for the front 30. The rear 44 elocker is not as strong as an equivalent arb.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
ARB

As Dave said, you can run it from their small compressor. And depending on where you install it, you will also need a mounting bracket.

Or, you can get the larger arb compressor that will also inflate your tires. Northridge sells a full kit with compressor/inflation kit/bracket for a great price.

If you choose a Non-ARB compressor, that is when you will need to add an air tank and the kit to plug it in to the locker. (this may be the cheaper course, if you already have a decent compressor)
I talked with Dave at northridge about the ARB with the larger compressor and I am pretty much sold on it. Just wanted to get input before I pull the trigger. Its a large investment with sleeves, gussets and chromolly shafts.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had both in my XJ and would have to say go with the ARB. I had issues with the OX cable adjustment. While I know many people who have had good luck with the OX, I know several more who run ARB's with no issues.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

I talked with Dave at northridge about the ARB with the larger compressor and I am pretty much sold on it. Just wanted to get input before I pull the trigger. Its a large investment with sleeves, gussets and chromolly shafts.
I went with the ARB lockers front and rear with sleeves, gussets, upgraded shafts, and new gearing. It was a significant investment, but doing it all at once saved a lot of labor cost. You might also want to install the compressor yourself as it's relatively simple.

Micah
Old 02-22-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ARB here and love it!

many people mount the compressor under the hood, but if you can find another spot, that will cut down on the compressor overheating, not saying it's an issue, but the potential is greater under the hood.

Quick Reply: ARB or OX