Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB onboard air: Is an upgraded battery needed?

Old 12-17-2010, 02:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARB onboard air: Is an upgraded battery needed?

I just installed my ARB compressor with the air hose option. My locker was also just installed last week. Everything works great but I have a question... I haven't used the compressor yet to air up tires, but I'm concerned!
When I activate the compressor, it really seems to draw alot of power. I turned it on the other night and it runs for a second to charge the small tank. When I did this the lights dimmed quite a bit!! Makes me wonder what would happen if I tried to air up 4 tires!!!
I know at some point I need to upgrade to a new battery like the Optima but will the stock battery get me by for a while? I just dont want to air down somewhere and then kill the jeep trying to air them back up!! ( I would keep the jeep running of course!)
Any advice?!
Old 12-17-2010, 02:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dog Doc
I just installed my ARB compressor with the air hose option. My locker was also just installed last week. Everything works great but I have a question... I haven't used the compressor yet to air up tires, but I'm concerned!
When I activate the compressor, it really seems to draw alot of power. I turned it on the other night and it runs for a second to charge the small tank. When I did this the lights dimmed quite a bit!! Makes me wonder what would happen if I tried to air up 4 tires!!!
I know at some point I need to upgrade to a new battery like the Optima but will the stock battery get me by for a while? I just dont want to air down somewhere and then kill the jeep trying to air them back up!! ( I would keep the jeep running of course!)
Any advice?!
i would say as longas you have the jeep running it should be ok. what killed my stock battery was winching several vehicles out of the river one weekend. so i think you should be ok for a while. JMO
Old 12-17-2010, 02:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock battery is garbage anyway, replace it before it dies on you. That's exactly what happened to me.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:29 AM
JK Freak

I had the same problem with all my accessories and dual viair compressors, I switched to a Die Marine battery after the OEM battery died and now the compressors are running full strength and no dimming.

In a year or 2 I'm going to upgrade the alternator to a Mean Green which raises the idleing amperage to 90 instead of 40

Last edited by GON WHLN; 12-17-2010 at 03:32 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:25 AM
JK Super Freak

You'll be fine with the stock battery. I ran mine with the stock battery. The stock battery lasted 3 years. I then switched to a blue top.

If you are worried, just shut off the A/C, radio, and other electronics when using the compressor.

Upgrade when the stocker dies.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

Default Higher idle?

The AEV Procal has an option to temporarily increase the engine's idle speed to a preset RPM. I don't have any electrical accessories to try it out on but I wonder if this would help?
Old 12-17-2010, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

This most likely is a stupid question but I will ask anyway!
So when using the compressor or winch, as long as I keep the jeep running during use the battery should be able to continue charging, and shouldn't leave me stranded somewhere, right?

Trending Topics

Old 12-17-2010, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've had no problems airing up 4 Jeeps in-a-row on battery power, using a stock battery.

Having said that, my ARB compressor seems to pump faster when the JK is turned on vs. running off of battery.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by aristobrat
I've had no problems airing up 4 Jeeps in-a-row on battery power, using a stock battery.

Having said that, my ARB compressor seems to pump faster when the JK is turned on vs. running off of battery.
+1 I filled up 7+ Jeeps before the compressor overheated. Battery did fine just keep the engine running.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dog Doc
This most likely is a stupid question but I will ask anyway!
So when using the compressor or winch, as long as I keep the jeep running during use the battery should be able to continue charging, and shouldn't leave me stranded somewhere, right?

Using the winch is different. It draws an IMMENSE amount of power.

A lot of guys with hand throttles made from a bicycle gear shifter will set it to 2500rpm or so.

If you use your winch on a pull, you will often hear it bog down when the going gets tough. If you press on the gas and give it more juice, it will often times speed back up and have an easier go at it.

That being said, when I'm winching a HARD pull, I usually do it from inside the jeep so I can give it some gas.

The pro-cal feature that does that is pretty cool.

Quick Reply: ARB onboard air: Is an upgraded battery needed?