Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB Mini-compressor Question?

Old 03-17-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question ARB Mini-compressor Question?

I got a rear ARB locker installed a couple weeks ago, havent been off road yet to test them. I took my jeep on a muddy dirt road to test lockers out and I just want to make sure this is normal.

When I first start compressor it runs for about 3-5 seconds. Then when I hit the locker switch it runs for 2-3 seconds. then it runs for about 2 seconds every minute while driving with locker engaged. Is it supposed to run this much. Its the mini-compressor so I know it doesnt hold a lot of air, just wanted to make sure it works. plus, when I turn locker off, I thought I was supposed to hear something, it doesnt make any noise. Is all this normal? I had the compressor and lines professionaly installed.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Bump for answers
Old 03-17-2011, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the compressor as well but i dont use it for lockers. i know without my air hose hooked plugged in it will run as you described every few seconds. i would think with it running your air lockers it might run for longer periods of time. either way i think youre good. it seems like your lockers dont require a ton of air to keep them locked or the compressor would run forever which might not be too good for it... just my 2 cents since im not a pro nor do i have air lockers
Old 03-17-2011, 02:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Anyone?? How often should this mini-compressor be cycling?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Nevermind, all fixed. I doused compressor with soapy water from spray bottle. It was leaking at the pressure switch. I removed pressure switch, removed all teflon tape, wrapped generous amount of teflon tape on threads, reinstalled as hard as I could tighten with fingers and tested it. Ran for 10 minutes with locker engaged, drove around block a few times (that was fun with locker engaged) it did not cycle one time.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep. You have a system air leak.

The compressor should run briefly when you turn it on (unless you have a reserve tank). Then it should run briefly whenever you engage a locker (unless you have the reserve tank). Then it shouldn't run again until you shut the locker off and turn it back on.

If you run a reserve tank it balances the air system and allows you to run the compressor longer initially but cycle it less when using your lockers.

I usually run all 4wd trails open, then add the rear when it gets tough and add the front only when its a must and then turn it right off once I'm over the obsticle. All the ons and offs can be annoying without a reserve tank...

Quick Reply: ARB Mini-compressor Question?