Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB Lockers?

Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's actually a really good idea about getting some rubi axles, never even crossed my mind. I kinda like that idea too, I just dot know a lot about e lockers tho, what are the pros and cons with them? it makes my wonder if I do need those Arby's... But when i do regear I'll definitely do it for the bigger tires for sure. maybe I'll get one of those lunch box lockers for the front and just reinforce it for now then get the air locker for the rear. I'm in Australia right now and went to the ARB store yesterday and asked them about this stuff and its hard for them to know a lot about wranglers they said, but I see a bunch of them out here. they had a really neat display of a cross section of their Locker, it made it so simple to understand, I just really like the idea of ARB's for some reason...
Old 09-03-2013, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

I've seen a lot of those yukons advertised out here in Australia, I might start looking into them now that you said how nicely they've worked for you and the warranty is a lot better.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you stay 4:88 or lower and build the front axle up it will be fine....I've seen d30s take a beating and 35s should be fine....the ring and pinion are the weak link but 4:88 and down they are stronger than. 5:13 and 5:38s in that housing....

As long as you don't get tires Jammed and hammer down you should be fine, that style driving will break a d60....

It sounds like it is what you want and I wouldn't hesitate to run that set up...

Just use a little common sense with the skinny pedal a d you'll be good anything can break.

I just set up a Aussie locker in a guys D30 last week and not concerned at all...done a Eaton elocker in my old d30 but swapped out because we hammered down hard and run 37s...so I leaned on the side of caution with that size tire...

Stock lockers are god a solid 4 pin design with basic interlocking dog legs when the electro magnet engages and pushes them together...they ta,e a smidge sometimes to lock which is no biggie but they ho.d well....
If they fail its usually the magnet stops pushing against the dog leg so shim it with a d60 shim and it goes strong...
The factory lockers have stood up to a ton of abuse,'buddy runs them constantly with 40s on the ha met trails for several years now...yes there are a couple issues out there but all lockers do the regular lockers are serviceable the factory ones can be fixed if they fail usually and pretty easy to work on.

Last edited by BRUT4CE; 09-03-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEB WANTING TI HEAR! just a little reassurance for my idea. I know I don't know a lot about all this but I just really wanted a reliable, trusted, thought locker set up that I wouldn't have to worry about quality and I'd know I could get through almost anything. I just watched that arb vs Yukon video and that was primarily biased on arb's part but it definitely showed me the quality of the two. I'm really leaning towards just getting the rear locker and regearing to 4.10's. I'm going to check the chart and look into the numbers of course but that's where I think I'm at right now
Old 09-03-2013, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kalitri35
THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEB WANTING TI HEAR! just a little reassurance for my idea. I know I don't know a lot about all this but I just really wanted a reliable, trusted, thought locker set up that I wouldn't have to worry about quality and I'd know I could get through almost anything. I just watched that arb vs Yukon video and that was primarily biased on arb's part but it definitely showed me the quality of the two. I'm really leaning towards just getting the rear locker and regearing to 4.10's. I'm going to check the chart and look into the numbers of course but that's where I think I'm at right now
4.88 is the way to go since u do have 2dr. Rear locker is abig help.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MarwanJeeper

4.88 is the way to go since u do have 2dr. Rear locker is abig help.
I'm still trying to find a chart to see what my rpm's would look like buy you don't think 4.88 would be to much??
Old 09-03-2013, 09:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ideally, you'd want to do the gears and lockers at the same time. If you want to do one locker, I'd suggest the rear. 4.88 won't be too much gear on an 08. I'm running 37s ARB's front and rear w/ a full retard D30 up front and a stock rear 44--no issues.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mistasparkl
Ideally, you'd want to do the gears and lockers at the same time. If you want to do one locker, I'd suggest the rear. 4.88 won't be too much gear on an 08. I'm running 37s ARB's front and rear w/ a full retard D30 up front and a stock rear 44--no issues.
yeah definitely planning on doing them both at the same time. ideally I wanted front and rear lockers which I still think I'll do. but I really hadn't even considered 4.88's but if the rpm's aren't to high for the road I'll probably do those now that you mention it. is there any one brand of gears that are better then another or could I just go with something like G2 and be fine??
Old 09-03-2013, 10:27 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalitri35
I'm still trying to find a chart to see what my rpm's would look like buy you don't think 4.88 would be to much??
FAQ's --> stickied right to the top of this modified sub-forum. You skip right over it every time you open this area...

This is a good read for locker info.
Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Dynatrac Presents - Lockers 101

For the Yukon Zip, it comes with a 2 year warranty that includes collateral damage and labor up to $2000. For an added cost, you can purchase an extended service plan - lifetime warranty for as long as you own the vehicle. (think it was $45 extra when I was looking a few months back). There are some conditions and tire size limitations, of course, so be sure to do some reading on their site if you are interested.

Get whatever brand gears has the best price/warranty. Or whichever your install shop prefers, as they will be the ones backing the warranty 'if' there is a problem.

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-03-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf

FAQ's --> stickied right to the top of this modified sub-forum. You skip right over it every time you open this area...

This is a good read for locker info.
Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Dynatrac Presents - Lockers 101

Get whatever brand gears has the best price/warranty. Or whichever your install shop prefers, as they will be the ones backing the warranty 'if' there is a problem.
perfect, thank you! I'm stuck using my phone or now so the mobile app doesn't have that link that I could find. thanks again

Quick Reply: ARB Lockers?